Fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i need help idk wats going on since a added fish on the wknd.. I have a 29 gallon tank and everything was fine.. I had (before adding) 3 danios 3 platies and 1 about 1 mnth age 1 molly 4 barbs and a fiddler crab everything was fine.. My sister wanted more fish so i went to walmart bought 3 mollies 3 tetra 4 gouramis i did research a little and they were compatible.. Today i found 2 tetras 1 dead and 1 trying to survive... My1 mnth platy dead and a gourami trying to survive as well... Water lvls are fine.. I isolated the ones trying to survive im stressing... Any suggestions?? Pls helppp!!!!

Fiddler crabs are brackish water. Were there any signs of attack or struggle? All the fish are safe but your crab might think the fish are snacks.

Well yea the crab is always solo dont bother anyone for few mnths now.. Actually yea on the tetra the tail was eaten off i think it might wont survive right? And on the gourami and the molly no sign of attack:(

If the area looks infected I don't think it would make it. Look for cotton like growth. If I could make a guess I would say it's the danios or one of your tetras. Reports of rouge tetras state they will rip of tails and even eyes. Danios also have been known to attack other fish.

Well, it could be an aggression issue. That would be easier to fix than a disease IMO. What kind of gouramis? What kind of barbs?

bettaowner said:
If the area looks infected I don't think it would make it. Look for cotton like growth. If I could make a guess I would say it's the danios or one of your tetras. Reports of rouge tetras state they will rip of tails and even eyes. Danios also have been known to attack other fish.

Prob.. Bcuz its on most of the new fish but i cant find an explanation for the platy... Well the fish is almost upside down soo im soo sad i will find a new home for my danios bcyz it did the same thing when i had guppies

absolutangel04 said:
Well, it could be an aggression issue. That would be easier to fix than a disease IMO. What kind of gouramis? What kind of barbs?

Im not sure in the gouramis but the other ones are tiger barbs.. I believe soo... Are they known to b aggresivee

Yes, they actually are. But, the culprits could be any of them to be honest. Do you see any chasing or nipping?

Could have been an ammonia spike caused by an influx of fish. Maybe even an infection brought on by the walmart fish. IMO walmart fish are really playing russian roulette with bullets in 4 chambers if you don't properly quarantine.

My thoughts are:
1. Ammonia spike from new stock weakened old stock.
2. Latent infections in new and old stock become apparent
3. Deaths occur

The missing fins may very well be fin rot, an indicator of poor water quality or bacterial infection.

If you can supply pictures and ammonia and nitrite levels we can help more. NUMERICAL VALUES

Last edited:
Yiger barbs are aggressive but this can be stopped if they are kept in large groups.

absolutangel04 said:
Yes, they actually are. But, the culprits could be any of them to be honest. Do you see any chasing or nipping?

Yes from the female gray gourami the male is hidding...its really bad but to the ohter frmale

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia:.25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate5.0
It def went up fron yestirdays results i am doing a water change and actually one of the fishes is totaly destroyed but the otherone is complete tact

Water change of at least 25% if you can do 50% would be better immediately. And as long as you have damaged fish in your tank about 20-30% daily will help any survivors heal.
Very clean water is the best healer for the injuries. Keep a close eye out for infection.
The ammonia will stress all of the fish but the ones with damage to them are more likely to develop infection from the injury plus stress.

I'm guessing it's the tiger barbs they really need a school of 6 plus or they will chase around and nip your other fish which can stress them to death if done enough and it sounds like its the slower fish that are missing pieces. Tiger barbs are fast and agile. But the fiddler more than likely will become a problem at some point trying to eat the rest of your stock.

The fiddler crab needs a place to be able to get to dry area, an island of some sort. It won't mess with the fish. They love shrimp pellets, they are also suppose to have some salt in their water.

Sure will buy more barbs.. Already did the 50 water change... My fish look less stressed and more happy... I dont have a lil isalnd for the crab but she manages a way to get on top of a plant thats floating on top.. I have long plants that help it also..Thanx for u alls advicee:D

irb said:
Sure will buy more barbs.. Already did the 50 water change... My fish look less stressed and more happy... I dont have a lil isalnd for the crab but she manages a way to get on top of a plant thats floating on top.. I have long plants that help it also..Thanx for u alls advicee:D

Good deal, might have to do water changes daily for a couple days just keep an eye on it.
And as long as your crab can get to the surface the plants should be ok, but keep a close eye on it because they are escape artists. I had to put mine back in the tank several times. He was found 2 times quite a distance from the aquarium. Never did find where he was getting out from, the last time he got out I have never seen him again. I don't know if my dog got him or if he just found a real good hiding spot.

I had 4TB and 6 Danios in a tank. The TB harassed a couple of the Danios to death. Missing fins in this case was definitely fin-nipping from the TB, and not disease related. Two of the Danios had no tail fins after a couple of days. I returned the TB and things settled down.

I read a lot about keeping TB in larger schools to reduce the fin nipping but in my opinion they do not keep well with peaceful fish.

Nimo said:
Good deal, might have to do water changes daily for a couple days just keep an eye on it.
And as long as your crab can get to the surface the plants should be ok, but keep a close eye on it because they are escape artists. I had to put mine back in the tank several times. He was found 2 times quite a distance from the aquarium. Never did find where he was getting out from, the last time he got out I have never seen him again. I don't know if my dog got him or if he just found a real good hiding spot.

Ohh yes totally.. It happend to me on easter i forgot to close the lid and he escaped i have them on a high surface si when it fell i dk know i it died from impact or one if my dogs bit it... But theyre so fun i nvr bought more but just seeing them is fun but this one has lasted for a while and it getting bigger.. :)

Roland6543 said:
I had 4TB and 6 Danios in a tank. The TB harassed a couple of the Danios to death. Missing fins in this case was definitely fin-nipping from the TB, and not disease related. Two of the Danios had no tail fins after a couple of days. I returned the TB and things settled down.

I read a lot about keeping TB in larger schools to reduce the fin nipping but in my opinion they do not keep well with peaceful fish.

I think tb are so pretty they bring a good view i only have 4 but if i buy more i knoe its a vetter schooling but in scared that if i buy more tb the tank would b more of a disaster.. Just leaving those... I dk should i buy more to fix or worsten.. My tank is doin better no mre stress signs....;)

Back
Top Bottom