Fish Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert.trumpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My fish seem to be dying little by little. The water levels are fine and so is temp. My tank was cycled with fish. Could they be dying cause of the stress after the cycle? Please help.

It's very likely. How long has the tank been set up? What are your levels for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What kinds of fish and what size tank?

ok.
First we need some info.
- Tank Size.
- Water parameters (including Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, GH, KH, temp)
- Which fish and how many did you have?
- How did you cycle tank?
- Were fish sick when bought them? (white spot etc etc)

Tank size- 14 Gallons

Water Parameters- Ammonia (0ppm) Nitrite (0ppm) PH (8.0) Temp (76F) Nitrate (40)

Fish- 4 (sunfire platy, bamboo shrimp, spotted catfish, African dwarf frog) the frog seems to be dying.....

Cycle- Learned about cycling after I bought fish. So cycled with fish. Zero deaths until now

Sickness- they don't show signs of sickness. They didn't when I bought them either.:fish2:

Last edited:
Your nitrates are too high. Tho they aren't as dangerous to fish as ammonia and nitrites they are still bad. Do a water change as soon as possible, 50%, then again the next day. Make sure to dechlorinate. Since you cycled with fish they will likely have lasting effects from the ammonia they were exposed to. Keep your nitrates at 10 or less and they'll should make it.

Since you cycled with fish they will likely have lasting effects from the ammonia they were exposed to.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Its happened to me before I knew about cycling. Frog may also be going the same way. Hopefully not though. It may or may not recover. Ammonia burn really harms fish.

My advice: Since tank is cycled now. Do the water changes to get Nitrates below 10ppm (use water ager in bucket with new water, before pouring into tank, to not kill off beneficial bacteria), then try restock with healthy fish and see how you go.
Make sure you don't overstock.

Use this calculator to help your stocking and compatibility:
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

If you need any help feel free to ask away.

Back
Top Bottom