Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fish dying help

This may seem insane do fish mourn other dying fish my neon blue cichlid died this morning for some reason and the rest of them are all hiding and don't wanna eat the waters good. I see no sign.of sickness besides this weird behavior and I have never had any problem with the fish getting along although I do have some that aren't supposed to work together help please

Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish may miss other fish, but I really don't know. But they might be hiding and not eating due to other reasons.

Why did your neon blue cichlid die?

What are the numerical values from your test of the tank's water: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #3

None of my water qualitys have changed there all still good my ph is 8 and my ammonia and nitrates are good. Idk what it could have been what do I do
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I noticed that after one of my glow lights died they and the neons in the tank stuck together a lot more.

But I think this would be a survival technique more than mourning.

But maybe (finding nemo fantasy) they do mourn?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #5

I'm just worried they will all die
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Look It Up

Did the dead fish show any signs of illness or distress? How new is the tank? Is it cycled? Have you added or removed anything from the tank recently?

Also if you can post your exact test numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate it would help. "Good" levels mean different things to different people sometimes.

You could also do a 50% water change (with dechlorinator) just to be on the safe side.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl
Did the dead fish show any signs of illness or distress? How new is the tank? Is it cycled? Have you added or removed anything from the tank recently?

Also if you can post your exact test numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate it would help. "Good" levels mean different things to different people sometimes.

You could also do a 50% water change (with dechlorinator) just to be on the safe side.
+1 the water change, try and get the temp as close as you can to prevent any chance of stress.

And yea the exact levels are needed.

Good for me is...

Ammo 0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 0-15ppm
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Dead fish show any signs of illness or distress? How new is the tank? Is it cycled? Have you added or removed anything from the tank recently?

I agree regarding exact test numbers.

Also -- and others will ask this also -- were the exact numbers obtained using test strips or a liquid test kit?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #9

Hmm its a liquid test and it was ammonia it spiked out of no where what would cause that. It was very bad its under control now I hope no more die
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwetherford View Post
Hmm its a liquid test and it was ammonia it spiked out of no where what would cause that. It was very bad its under control now I hope no more die
I also hope no more of your fish die, and a good way to reduce the likelihood of them dieing is to test the water with a quality liquid test kit and if the ammonia is 0.25 or above, then do a 50% Partial Water Change (PWC). And then re-test.

That will help keep your fish safe and healthy.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com