Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish Dying, HELP!

So I have been running a custom sump for about a year in my 75 gal cichlid tank, it was made from a 29gal aquarium and worked like a deam. A few pieces on it were coming loose and I had the chance to get another 29 gal for free. Long story short I used silicone that was kitchen use approved and 100% silicone, but SURPRISE, it had a mold inhibitor in it anyways. After about a day I noticed my fish were very lethargic, their color was faded and a few were dead. I did two 60-75% water changes hoping whatever it was would come out of the water but after a day several more had died so I went out and picked up a fluval 406 canister filter, filled 4 of the 8 compartments with carbon, and performed 2 more 50% water changes last night. The remaining fish seem to be doing better this morning but still obviously sick. Anything else I should do or just keep with a couple water changes a day for a few more days and hope for the best?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get a razor blade, strip the silicone, clean it well, and re-apply aquarium safe silicone. Sorry about your fish, but the bad silicone will keep affecting them until you get rid of it.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com