Fish dying overnight.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

splitbux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10g tank
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
10-20 nitrates
PH 7.0

1 platy(dead)
1 dwarf gourami (male)
5 neon tetras (2dead)

i added 5 neon tetras and 1 died overnight(2 nights ago) then last night i woke up in morning and found the platy dead and another tetra dead. are gouramis aggressive and could he the the one killing my fish? for weeks now ive found my platy at bottom of tank hiding under log resting on gravel which he usually doesnt do and i was thinking maybe the gourami is harassing him. Any way to tell if the gourami is doing this? it only happens overnight.

P.S. I do notice during day gourami chasing some of tetras but its very short like hes charging them but they are too fast for him and he never catches them.

I had similar issue I had 3 neons that I had for several months (had more initially but those were the survivors) very healthy I added 3 more so there would be a good number within 2 days all the new ones died along with 2 of the "old" ones and one of my healthy emperors. Lesson learned No more neon tetras they just are not healthy fish

I doubt it was the Gourami they are usually docile. Although lack of real estate, personality, and water chem can change that.
How long has your aquarium been operational?
How often do you conduct PWC's?

tank has been up for 2 and half months now. twice a week i do 30-40% water changes, by the time im done getting all the debris vacuumed out it ends up being about 30 or 40 percent.

Neon tetras have been breeded in this hobby forever! They are very prone to disease I've noticed that also when I had them,,I would look another fish to put around your gourami. Very unhealthy neons in general

Neon Tetras are very sensitive fish that dont do well with sudden changes. Its not that they are unhealthy fish, its just that they wont thrive in unhealthy conditions.

splitbux said:
tank has been up for 2 and half months now. twice a week i do 30-40% water changes, by the time im done getting all the debris vacuumed out it ends up being about 30 or 40 percent.

What is the temp of your aquarium?

Your aquarium is still going through its cycle, that mens nothing is stable within your aquarium, which leads to stressed fish, which leads to die off.

The lack of space may make the gourami aggressive. He is probably just trying to get his own area but the tank isn't big enough.

Neons are very weak fish. That Being said, I've never had issues with them and my dad always used his for fish in cycling... And they stay alive for like 7 years at least...

Iv got to disagree. I put 7 neons into my tank (one of the first fish I put in) they helped to cycle it, and they have been through a stage where the nitrates and nitrites were very high! Needless to say, they are still healthy and iv not had any problems with them, other than the odd chase!

really after more than 2 months you think my tank is still considered being in cycling process? i thought cycling was when the ammonia and nitrites drop to 0 and stay at 0 which have already happened. im new to this but i do alot of reading to try my best at keeping a tank.

splitbux said:
really after more than 2 months you think my tank is still considered being in cycling process? i thought cycling was when the ammonia and nitrites drop to 0 and stay at 0 which have already happened. im new to this but i do alot of reading to try my best at keeping a tank.

I think your tank is cycled I was just mentioning how some people had a lot of trouble with neons but I seem not to. I would think the whole space thin has a lot to do with it.

Neons are very different between each. You might buy strong ones or some very vulnerable or already have diseases, it's hit or miss. I personally stay away from them.

Just qt before you put them in and see how they are I guess

I've found neons hit or miss depending on the stock that your lfs has. Odd as it sounds I've had better luck with Walmart neons that from any other source. Another choice is cardinal tetras. My lfs has great cardinal stock but I lose ever neon I get from there. I still have all my Walmart neons and one Petco neon. Lost all 5 from Petsmart. Trying my best to save the last two neons I got with my cardinals. All 10 cardinals are healthy and strong.

One thing I have found is if you really want neons or cardinals find a store with babies. Walmart always seems to have very young neons. All my cardinals were 2 weeks old. They just seem a touch more resilient then full grown ones I find in other fish stores.

If it's a lfs ask them how long they had those particular fish. My fault on my last set of neons because I knew they had only been in a week. All of them had a bad case of ick which i didn't see till I got home. The cardinals were babies from stock that had been in the store 5 months.

Only thing is babies are more sensitive...honestly if you want neons get them. Just looked at a bunch of different lfs's and find which ever one has the best stock.

Back
Top Bottom