Fish dying Unexpectedly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

polcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My son has a 10 gallon tank which is my old tank. I have recently upgraded to a 40 gallon tank. Problem I am having is recently it seems the tank has become a death trap. He orginally had two danios, a guppy, a betta and a chinese algea eater in a smaller tank. Well my daughter has the smaller tank now and I put the chinese algea eater in it. It doing fine. Now I decided to put a plecuasnamis not sure on spelling in his tank. Well I got one from Petsmart, it died in two days got another one it died in a week? We also added a little ornament to his tank which the paint started to chip. So we took it out got a pleco algea eater from Petco and it has lived for about two weeks when I found it injuried this morning. This past weekend we added a blue tail guppy and a small volcano for bubbles. Well the guppy died in two days. Which was Monday. His three month old Betta I found dead in the volcano. And now the pleco I found injured and almost dead. The pleco liked to go in the volcano like the Betta so think he got injured in it somehow. Ok Now the two danios and one guppy are doing fine. The water test showed great except the PH was high possible alkaline. Only thing I can think of is the betta and pleco go trapped in the volcano? The new guppy I have no clue? Sorry seems kinda long but I don't like loosing fish and don't want to loose anymore just looking for thoughts. I have a 40 gallon tank and my daughter has a 5 gallon tank both are a couple months old and had no issues

Nitirte and nitrates are 0. Amonia levels are also low. I did a water test and all was good. Yes I did a water cycle change a week ago. I cycle the water every two weeks

polcat said:
Nitirte and nitrates are 0. Amonia levels are also low. I did a water test and all was good. Yes I did a water cycle change a week ago. I cycle the water every two weeks

I'm not sure you're familiar with the concept of the nitrogen cycle and what cycling a tank involves. Check out the guide Bruinsbro linked above, and this article below-
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Nitrogen_Cycle.html

If you have ammonia in the tank the fish will probably die or end up sick, read the link they gave you.

ok now i can type better. I was doing all the post from my phone with people talking to me at work. His tank is two months old. It has had a good water cycle. Actually I used water from my larger tank to get his going. And originally used water from this 10g tank that had fish in it for two months to get my 40g tank going. As far as the cycling. I have done two water test and have taken it to the petstore to get it ck, My Nitrite is 0, Amonia is 0, Nitrate is 20 ppm. PH levle is 8.0-8.4 level. As i am typing this, this is the levels. The other fish in the tank are fine. I do a water change everytwo weeks. I am thinking because the betta and the pleco would always go in teh volcano with the bubble they some how got in and the betta could not get out and the pleco got hurt??

ok now i can type better. I was doing all the post from my phone with people talking to me at work. His tank is two months old. It has had a good water cycle. Actually I used water from my larger tank to get his going. And originally used water from this 10g tank that had fish in it for two months to get my 40g tank going. As far as the cycling. I have done two water test and have taken it to the petstore to get it ck, My Nitrite is 0, Amonia is 0, Nitrate is 20 ppm. PH levle is 8.0-8.4 level. As i am typing this, this is the levels. The other fish in the tank are fine. I do a water change everytwo weeks. I am thinking because the betta and the pleco would always go in teh volcano with the bubble they some how got in and the betta could not get out and the pleco got hurt??
That is certainly a possibility. Another possibility is that your plecos were sick when you got them. Not all fish stores carry healthy fish. The shipping and acclimation process is stressful for them.

Kinda what I thought about the first two plecos. That's why we changed stores. Just weird I guess I have today took the volcano out going to put a net or holed cover just enough bubbles can get out but no fish can get in see if that helps. I have two other tanks a 5g and 40g and added fish and have had no issue just his tank

I am just curious if anyone else had issues with their fish going in to things with bubbles and getting trapped or hurt?

Back
Top Bottom