Fish eating snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just noticed a pond/pest snail in one of my 10g tanks. It was accidentally squashed when I tried to remove it. The big surprise was as the bits were sinking my least killifish went absolutely nuts trying to eat it! Is this common? I know puffers and some loaches eat live snails but do other fish eat snails as well?

My rainbows eat anything that can fit in their mouths. Including baby snails.

Fish are opportunistic. If a food source that is normally unavailable becomes available it would be foolish not to take advantage, especially when it could contain nutrients that their diet may lack. I think just about any fish will eat a snail given the chance; it's just that loaches and puffers have the tools to eat them without the help of a benevolent fishkeeper.

I read this as Snails that ate fish... Mildly disappointed because that would be a crazy snail.

When my 90g was infested with pond snails, I would just stand there grabbing them with my big tweezers and smushing them and then shaking the bits out into the water. The fish would go nuts.
I did feel a little mean to the snails but, oh well.

I read this as Snails that ate fish... Mildly disappointed because that would be a crazy snail.

The ocean has large snails that actually are capable of eating a sleeping fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My puffer goes nuts for them, and my GBR eats small rams horns off of the glass. I think it's really mean to crush the snails, so I don't do that. I'd rather give them a chance at life in he aquarium and naturally be eaten by a fish than smash them and feed them....I don't know it just seems kind of wrong to me.

I usually take the snails out with the long tweezers and just throw them in the garbage. Then adjust my feeding so they don't come back that much.

I usually take the snails out with the long tweezers and just throw them in the garbage. Then adjust my feeding so they don't come back that much.

My old roommate had a turtle. We used to pull out all the pond snails and throw them in the turtle tank which was a nice snack for him. Lots of calcium too :)

That was back before the adjusted feeding and reduced population. I haven't actively removed pond snails in over a year and a half now.

I have a single huge pond snail in the tank. I don't understand how he escapes the notice of the dwarf chain loaches. His shell is really unusual, it looks like rock or wood. Somehow he has just evolved to be really well camouflaged.
I just keep letting him live. They will get him eventually.

My sump is totally infested with snails actually. I occasionally gas the tank return reservoir with a full bottle of hydrogen peroxide (with the system off) to keep it clean and their population down. I'm so mean to the snails...

Well, learn something new every day! I've been keeping fish for over 10 years and thought only certain fish like puffers and loaches ate snails :whistle:

Sorry for the confusion with the post title :hide:

Haha, that exactly what I thought also!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

I know an entomologist who recently helped identify the snails in a contraband shipment at a major port ... They were some giant snail (a delicacy) which is known to eat the stucco off houses.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I know an entomologist who recently helped identify the snails in a contraband shipment at a major port ... They were some giant snail (a delicacy) which is known to eat the stucco off houses.

Wow, that's both interesting and frightening.....

How much larger are the gold fish in compairson to the other fish? Lots of fish will canablize on smaller fish if the size differental is great.

The giant african land snail, the perfect example of just how destructive invasive species can be. Unfortunately these guys have a decent foothold in Florida, like they didn't see enough destruction by invasives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom