Fish extinction list .....THE RED LIST

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW is right. This is the kind of thing that I find depressing.

It makes me want to go home and hug my little fish. Of course it also makes me feel guilty about brining tuna for lunch.

Those fish are endangered, not extinct. Nevertheless, it's still horrible. I was watching a cooking show the other night on a french sea food dish and they dredge the sea in monty burns style JUST to get the ingredients to an old fish soup recipe! Then they discard the small basslet and other small fish like they're nothing after they've made broth out of them! They don't even actually USE THEM!

atlantic cod and atlantic whitefish, both endangered?

damn ... those are my two favorite fish for dinner on friday nights! ... must be why I payed $12 for the two pounds I recently bought from Meijer

I was just reading an article about sturgeon. The Caspian Sea sturgeon is on a verge of extinction, because of the poachers. They catch and kill the fish for black caviar. Sturgeon is extreme delicacy, but to kill it in such numbers is a shame.

I read that article too. Did somebody from the board post that? I've never had caviar in my life. I'd love to try it but not at the cost of extinction.

Sati said:
I read that article too. Did somebody from the board post that? I've never had caviar in my life. I'd love to try it but not at the cost of extinction.

You can still try it out....there are many kinds of caviar in the world....Beluga, Osetra and Sevruga being the most pricey.....these are strictly from the Sturgeon fish

but your regular grocery store will also carry 'lower end' caviar (still very tasty)...from fish such as Salmon, lumpfish, whitefish, chum, paddlefish

just make sure you have a nice wine to go with it :D

Zach

I actually posted that article, I think.
just make sure you have a nice wine to go with it

Russians will never eat caviar with crackers. I do not understand where that came from. You take soft white bread like French bread, slice it thin, butter it, and put thin coat of caviar on it. That is the way.

Beluga, Osetra and Sevruga being the most pricey
The Beluga is the largest of all sturgeon, up to 30 feet in length and can reach 1,800 pounds. It is extremely ugly. Sevruga (stellate sturgeon) has a long pointed nose. My wife is from Caspian Sea region and I have tried every kind of black caviar as well as smoked sturgeon. She wished that I could try freshly cooked sturgeon shish kebabs, she said they were heavenly delicious.
I am personally used to the red caviar (Salmon roe) and kind of like it more, but it is a personal preference.

Sati, if you are willing to try it, I am sure in Seattle there are grocery stores that cell black caviar in a small glass jar that usually says "Sturgeon Caviar". Be ready to shell out about $100 for it. Some stores will sell you per-pound, that is the best way, you can buy a very small amount :(
Same caviar that costs next to nothing in Caspian region, costs around $600 - $1200 a pound here.

Check this link out http://www.russianfoods.com/showroom/product014D0/vendor003E4/default.asp

captainGregor said:
Same caviar that costs next to nothing in Caspian region, costs around $600 - $1200 a pound here.

Supply and demand, The capitolists dream. ;)

They have the supply and no demand over there, so its cheap.

We have a very small supply, and high demand. Thus it is expensive.

Hmmm. Being of Russian descent I can tell you the Ruskes eat it on black bread with sweet butter and 1/5 of vodka :) . It's quite delicious that way.

Hey Brian,
I am not of Russian descent, I am Russian :) . You can eat caviar on any bread, it's just the french bread type makes it more delicious, and vodka goes with anything :wink: .

I know about the vodka Capt. In fact, I always have one with lunch and one with dinner. :wink: I'd like to think it's just the russian in me. (LOL)

Nice job you have there, Brian. I wish I could have a shot of ice-cold SKYY with my lunch. The biggest misconception with vodka in America is that you can drink it by itself. Pure Russian will tell you that vodka is only good when it is ice cold and when there is food present. :)

Back
Top Bottom