Fish fasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I went one day without feeding the fish (of course the SAEs just keep nibbling algae anyways) and what does the angelfish do? Anytime I walk towards the tank it expects me to drop food in. After a few hours of me walking to the tank and its belly not filling up it looks at me then begins to slowly drift towards my plants...Yeah, it was trying to tear pieces off of my moneywort. I don't know if it was going to eat it or just tear it up in frustration. Now I am more reluctant to put in any of the "tastier" plants...unless I just feed the fish every day.

I occasionally skip a day feeding, and I honestly don't know why, but I have the impression that it gives them a day to clear their systems. I think I might do it because in nature they would not necessarily eat every day.

At any rate, the fish might have been searching for a fallen bit of flake that was on a leaf, or maybe there was a baby snail or something there. I don't really think the angel is going to actually eat plants, and one day is not going to starve any fish. They can go quite a bit longer than that, in an emergency. If every time you skip a day feeding the angel tears up plants, then I guess try not to skip! :)

No it was definitely grabbing ahold of a single money wort leaf that was absolutely clean of any and all detritus/algae/snails.

Though it is funny to see the angel trying to get the snails out when I drop them in for the loaches.

My angel will eat the snail if it is very tiny and I smoosh it for him, so he definitely knows it is tasty, but I swear I have never seen an angel eat a plant leaf! I guess it was a temper tantrum. :?

Your angelfish is mad at you.

He decided hes going to try to undo all the hard work you've done decorating the aquarium.

That'll teach you :p :D

I swear I have never seen an angel eat a plant leaf!

No? Wow, all 3 of my Angels nibble some leaves from time to time, hygro or water sprite only. Not enough to even worry about, just a bit here and there. Back when I had hair algae in their tank, they would nibble that too. I thought all Angels were omnivores, I guess I have oddballs.

Back
Top Bottom