Fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WendiDell said:
Next step. Don't feed your fish for a day or two, it won't hurt them, but it will make them hungry.
They just aren't used to the shape and texture of the pellets, but if they are hungry they will eat, give them time.

Thanks, think I'll hold off on feeding until Monday night. I think I blended the food too much, the powder floats for the most part and I don't want the powder blocking my light.

Thanks, think I'll hold off on feeding until Monday night. I think I blended the food too much, the powder floats for the most part and I don't want the powder blocking my light.

Monday sounds good, they should be hungry by then.
I found that switching fish food is like changing your dogs food. They like what they are used to and ignore the rest. Like everything else with this hobby, it all takes time.

I really appreciate your advice. I went and bought the .5mm and dropped a bunch in. I broke down and fed them, like my cats I can't stand the thought of them being hungry. After feeding I saw that some ate the pellets and others did not. Maybe in about a week. Just worried about my Cories too.

I really appreciate your advice. I went and bought the .5mm and dropped a bunch in. I broke down and fed them, like my cats I can't stand the thought of them being hungry. After feeding I saw that some ate the pellets and others did not. Maybe in about a week. Just worried about my Cories too.

I know fish are BIG beggars, even when they're not really hungry. It really doesn't hurt them to go a day or two without food. In fact over feeding is a bigger problem than underfeeding.
But I'm glad to hear that some of your fish are eating NLS. In time they all will. Going for the .5mm was a smart decision, it makes the transition from flake to pellet easier.

I dont want to highjack you're thread but it seemed pointless staring one on the same topic.

The otherday I ran out of fishfood, it was run of the mill flake food i got from the LFS, so when i went to the store, I thought "no i'll get good high grade stuff this time, it'll be better for the fish" so after looking around and obsessing that I want one of the fig eight puffers they have, I went to the food shelf, Since at the time I was feeding algae wafers and veg to my oto's and shrimp and the only other fish in my tank were tetra's I got hikari tropical micro pellets (Hikari info : Hikari Tropical MICRO PELLETS).
But where the tetra would come to the surface to eat the flake, they ignore these teeny tiny floating micro pellets.
Anyone else had this issue?

leek86 said:
I dont want to highjack you're thread but it seemed pointless staring one on the same topic.

The otherday I ran out of fishfood, it was run of the mill flake food i got from the LFS, so when i went to the store, I thought "no i'll get good high grade stuff this time, it'll be better for the fish" so after looking around and obsessing that I want one of the fig eight puffers they have, I went to the food shelf, Since at the time I was feeding algae wafers and veg to my oto's and shrimp and the only other fish in my tank were tetra's I got hikari tropical micro pellets (Hikari info : Hikari Tropical MICRO PELLETS).
But where the tetra would come to the surface to eat the flake, they ignore these teeny tiny floating micro pellets.
Anyone else had this issue?

I am no expert but from what others told me, it is best to wait them out. They'll give in and when they do you'll feel better knowing they are getting better food. That's what I'm doing, anyway. Sounds like our food comes in the same form.

I guess i'll try waiting them out a couple of days and try them again.

Many fish refuse NLS at first because it is different, mainly in flavor. Give it time and they will take to it.

Don't soak foods, this can remove a lot of if not effectively all of the water soluble vitamins, lowering the quality of the nutrition.

You shouldn't need to crush it either. I ran a store with 2,000 gallons of freshwater and fed NLS exclusively, almost all the community fish got 1mm pellets with no problems. If they can't swallow it whole they will grab a pellet and swim around with it as it softens. This is a great way to keep aggressive eaters occupied while the less aggressive fish get a chance to get their share.

Fishguy2727 said:
Many fish refuse NLS at first because it is different, mainly in flavor. Give it time and they will take to it.

Don't soak foods, this can remove a lot of if not effectively all of the water soluble vitamins, lowering the quality of the nutrition.

You shouldn't need to crush it either. I ran a store with 2,000 gallons of freshwater and fed NLS exclusively, almost all the community fish got 1mm pellets with no problems. If they can't swallow it whole they will grab a pellet and swim around with it as it softens. This is a great way to keep aggressive eaters occupied while the less aggressive fish get a chance to get their share.

Great advice. Do you think that the .5mm pellets will be fine? What about Cories?

If you have sand the 0.5 should be fine, in gravel they will disappear. The cories and plecos will both eat the pellets without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom