Fish food block!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I'm going away for a couple of days next week......I bought some of the blocks for fish that last for like 4 days....I put one in today just to make sure everything would be ok when I went! But I was just wondering whether if I leave the filter on would it stop the block from working and would they not get the food they need???
Thanks

Those feeding blocks quite often don't work well. They turn into mush and foul your water. Your fish can go easily with no food for the short amount of time you'll be gone. I would remove the block.

Definitely, leave your filter on, no matter what you're doing with the tank. Otherwise, your filter media will dry out and you'll lose your cycle.

ThankYou!!! Also I have been putting the white spot treatment in and if I keep the filter on will it filter the treatment out??

Only if you have carbon in the filter media.

You're dealing with ich right now? What meds are you using? This can be easily cured without meds and just using the heat method.

I have to edit my response to you. I just read in your other thread that this is a 6 gallon tank with 3 fancy goldfish in it. Yikes!

You have been told that you should have at the very least a 40 gallon tank here. Since you will be gone and unable to do the daily water changes on this tank that your fish necessitate, be sure to not feed this tank with a block feeder or anything else while you are gone.

Do you have plans to upgrade? This tank is really dangerous for the well-being of your fish.

I have no clue! This is my first tank and the people at the shop just said if they get White spots add the treatment to the water and that's what I'm doing! It's so confusing all this fish stuff! But thanks anyway

Fishlove said:
I have no clue! This is my first tank and the people at the shop just said if they get White spots add the treatment to the water and that's what I'm doing! It's so confusing all this fish stuff! But thanks anyway

Oh well the people at the shop said it will all be fine and that I can have 3 fish in a 24 litre I mean they are really small fish....

You don't know what medication you're putting into your tank? It's really important to understand what you put in and why. It's crucial to know what, as you may have species that are sensitive to certain meds. Many of us will avoid using meds at all costs and use natural methods of curing our fish.

In your case, as I mentioned, you should be doing daily water changes. If you are not, your fish could fall ill quite easily due to the cramped conditions and the overpolluted water.

Do you know what your readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Small fish grow up into large fish. Goldfish just happen to have a large bioload (make a lot of waste), so even though they may be small, they need different care than other species would.

When I first got my fish I was told to bring in a bit of the water and they will test it for me! They didn't tell me what it was but they did say it was fine! And my white spot treatment just says interpet anti White spot and a number 6

they will test it for me! They didn't tell me what it was but they did say it was fine!

In a case like yours, it's going to be crucial to knowing what your parameters are. I highly suggest you buy an API master kit, less than $20 on-line, and do your own testing.

It's very unprofessional of them to just say "fine" and not give you your numbers. The numbers mean everything.

I found little about the interpret no 6. Only 2 reviews on Amazon and a few people in forums that indicate it's not a very good product.

ThankYou for my help I will try and find out more about it and what to do and stuff but thanks anyway

Back
Top Bottom