Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish food: tropical vs. goldfish

With an aquarium I bought as a bundle I got the 'Tetra Goldfish Aquasafe' and 'Tetra Goldfish Flake' food. So my question is, what is the difference in the food for goldfish and other tropical flakes? Can I use it with my fishes or shrimps?
And I guess there shouldn't be any difference in water conditioners apart from the label, right?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I wouldn't use it to feed anything personally. Tetra brand foods are cheap and don't contain the quality ingredients that NLS and Hikari do IMO.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Hi! I would recommend going out & purchasing a decent water conditioner (such as prime) & skipping the tetra products in general. I would also consider getting a quality food for the species of fish you plan on keeping. Hope this helps!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that goldfish food is mostly vegetable based, and therefore not suitable for tropical fish.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that was quick
For feeding my little fellas I'm using Tropical Flakes from Aquarian, but as the water conditioning I've been using Tetra's Aquasafe for months now, and believe me-- it's not the cheapest one, at least in the UK Will there be any differences with that then?

Since the goldfish flakes are mostly vegetable based, could I use it as some sort of addition to the diet? If that's still a no-no, I just put it on eBay (unless someone from the forum wants it )
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

You can use it. It won't harm them. There are foods higher in quality out there though.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisserydoo View Post
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that goldfish food is mostly vegetable based, and therefore not suitable for tropical fish.
Most quality goldfish foods run in the 45-48+% protien range unless you are buying a specificlly made vegetable food. This is probably equivalent or higher than alot of tropical foods. Tetra goldfish flakes do not fall under the 'quality' category though.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk

Most quality goldfish foods run in the 45-48+% protien range unless you are buying a specificlly made vegetable food. This is probably equivalent or higher than alot of tropical foods. Tetra goldfish flakes do not fall under the 'quality' category though.
Well, that's it then, it goes to eBay while it's still unopened
Any thoughts on water conditioner? Will there be any difference?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

The aquasafe should fine! When it runs out, you could always consider switching but its not necessary if you are comfortable with this product.

Tags
fish food, food, goldfish, tropical

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com