Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

fish for 10 gal

I need help picking some fish for my new 10 gal tank. Pls make some suggestions. I heard all kinds of opinions that I'm not sure anymore. (Ie: that fish needs a bigger tank, the other one needs to be in groups of 5 or more, etc ) Pls help me. Also how many of each. Ty

Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Suggestions? Want tetras? Shrimp?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of fish have you looked at? Is there anything that has appealed to you?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66
Suggestions? Want tetras? Shrimp?
No shrimp Ty. Tetras I would like but I heard I need a school and my 10 gal is too small will eventually get a Beta too. Are they doing okay with tetras? Don't know yet...
Old 09-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

1 betta and 6 ember tetras. Thats what is in my 10 gallon. There are also neons (6ish), celestial pearl danios, gold-ringed danios, and chili rasbora. A different option would be a few shell-dwelling cichlids.
Instead of a betta, you could do a dwarf gourami or a couple of sparkling gouramis.
Other options would be 4-6 pygmy corys or 4 Asian Stone catfish. You could stock these along with a few other nano fish. The exact numbers of anything depends on what else you want in there.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole
What kind of fish have you looked at? Is there anything that has appealed to you?
Currently have 1 GBR and one Panda Cory (both juveniles) was told they need more room and I need more of each. Therefor will move them in a couple of mos in a 75 gal. Wanna plan ahead with the future community for my 10 gal that will remain eventually empty.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
1 betta and 6 ember tetras. Thats what is in my 10 gallon. There are also neons (6ish), celestial pearl danios, gold-ringed danios, and chili rasbora. A different option would be a few shell-dwelling cichlids.
Instead of a betta, you could do a dwarf gourami or a couple of sparkling gouramis.
Other options would be 4-6 pygmy corys or 4 Asian Stone catfish. You could stock these along with a few other nano fish. The exact numbers of anything depends on what else you want in there.
Thanks a lot. It gives me a head start. Im a bit confused though, you have 1 betta, 6 tetras and 6 neons in 10 gal? Or just the betta and 6 tetras?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcloud View Post
Thanks a lot. It gives me a head start. Im a bit confused though, you have 1 betta, 6 tetras and 6 neons in 10 gal? Or just the betta and 6 tetras?
Sorry, just the betta and 1 school (either neons or something else). Maybe also 4 pygmy corys in addition to this if your filtration is amazing and you stick with tiny fish like the ember.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

a betta would do fine with a school of small tetras. A nice mystery snail would be cute, I love mystery snails.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 3 platies in my current 10 gallon tank...hope to add 2 more (if not, then a dwarf gourami) and some ghost shrimp.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to have a beta in my 10, with maybe a school of neons in the future.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Look It Up

This is just my opinion (), but neon tetras are very active fish and putting them in anything less than a 20 gal long doesn't give them the swim room they require to be at their full potential. A school of one of the types of nano fish that were mentioned (ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, glowlight tetra) would be fine though.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcloud View Post
I need help picking some fish for my new 10 gal tank. Pls make some suggestions. I heard all kinds of opinions that I'm not sure anymore. (Ie: that fish needs a bigger tank, the other one needs to be in groups of 5 or more, etc ) Pls help me. Also how many of each. Ty
Funny I should notice this thread now since today I decided to give my 10gal QT to my son (I can always get a rubbermaid tub for QT). Thinking of Cardinal Tetras and Black neon tetras ... but still researching, Pearl danios, Glow light tetras and H. Rasboras are other options. Regardless of which option ... I'm thinking 10 would be the max number of fish I'd consider.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #14
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Funny I should notice this thread now since today I decided to give my 10gal QT to my son (I can always get a rubbermaid tub for QT). Thinking of Cardinal Tetras and Black neon tetras ... but still researching, Pearl danios, Glow light tetras and H. Rasboras are other options. Regardless of which option ... I'm thinking 10 would be the max number of fish I'd consider.
Cardinals and black neons get to be like 2 inches. IMO, they are not good choices for a 10g. This is just me, but in my 10, I stick with schoolers that only reach about an inch max. Otherwise, you can stunt heir growth, or else their bodies take up so much space that there isn't much swimming room left.
Having 10 fish is a good cut-off point.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFishingAllowed View Post
I am going to have a beta in my 10, with maybe a school of neons in the future.
I added my cories (5) to my 10g with my beta.

Scratch the neons...I always say I want some, then change my mind..
Old 10-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFishingAllowed

I added my cories (5) to my 10g with my beta.
What kind of cories? And what are the dimensions of your tank?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another fish that can go with bettas IME are endlers live bearers. They're pretty sweet looking! But all the other fish stated above would work as well. It all depends on you!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ

What kind of cories? And what are the dimensions of your tank?
I have 1 peppered and 4 albino. They are tiny.. I don't know the dimensions. I just moved them from my 37g today.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFishingAllowed

I have 1 peppered and 4 albino. They are tiny.. I don't know the dimensions. I just moved them from my 37g today.
I personally see no issue, some might, however.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ

I personally see no issue, some might, however.
Really? I guess if it ever becomes an issue I can move them to one of my other tanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com