fish for 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help picking some fish for my new 10 gal tank. Pls make some suggestions. I heard all kinds of opinions that I'm not sure anymore. (Ie: that fish needs a bigger tank, the other one needs to be in groups of 5 or more, etc ) Pls help me. Also how many of each. Ty

Gboy66 said:
Suggestions? Want tetras? Shrimp?

No shrimp Ty. Tetras I would like but I heard I need a school and my 10 gal is too small :( will eventually get a Beta too. Are they doing okay with tetras? Don't know yet...

1 betta and 6 ember tetras. Thats what is in my 10 gallon. There are also neons (6ish), celestial pearl danios, gold-ringed danios, and chili rasbora. A different option would be a few shell-dwelling cichlids.
Instead of a betta, you could do a dwarf gourami or a couple of sparkling gouramis.
Other options would be 4-6 pygmy corys or 4 Asian Stone catfish. You could stock these along with a few other nano fish. The exact numbers of anything depends on what else you want in there. :)

ashleynicole said:
What kind of fish have you looked at? Is there anything that has appealed to you?

Currently have 1 GBR and one Panda Cory (both juveniles) was told they need more room and I need more of each. Therefor will move them in a couple of mos in a 75 gal. Wanna plan ahead with the future community for my 10 gal that will remain eventually empty.

absolutangel04 said:
1 betta and 6 ember tetras. Thats what is in my 10 gallon. There are also neons (6ish), celestial pearl danios, gold-ringed danios, and chili rasbora. A different option would be a few shell-dwelling cichlids.
Instead of a betta, you could do a dwarf gourami or a couple of sparkling gouramis.
Other options would be 4-6 pygmy corys or 4 Asian Stone catfish. You could stock these along with a few other nano fish. The exact numbers of anything depends on what else you want in there. :)

Thanks a lot. It gives me a head start. Im a bit confused though, you have 1 betta, 6 tetras and 6 neons in 10 gal? Or just the betta and 6 tetras?

Thanks a lot. It gives me a head start. Im a bit confused though, you have 1 betta, 6 tetras and 6 neons in 10 gal? Or just the betta and 6 tetras?
Sorry, just the betta and 1 school (either neons or something else). Maybe also 4 pygmy corys in addition to this if your filtration is amazing and you stick with tiny fish like the ember.

a betta would do fine with a school of small tetras. A nice mystery snail would be cute, I love mystery snails.

I have 3 platies in my current 10 gallon tank...hope to add 2 more (if not, then a dwarf gourami) and some ghost shrimp.

This is just my opinion :))), but neon tetras are very active fish and putting them in anything less than a 20 gal long doesn't give them the swim room they require to be at their full potential. A school of one of the types of nano fish that were mentioned (ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, glowlight tetra) would be fine though.

I need help picking some fish for my new 10 gal tank. Pls make some suggestions. I heard all kinds of opinions that I'm not sure anymore. (Ie: that fish needs a bigger tank, the other one needs to be in groups of 5 or more, etc ) Pls help me. Also how many of each. Ty

Funny I should notice this thread now since today I decided to give my 10gal QT to my son (I can always get a rubbermaid tub for QT). Thinking of Cardinal Tetras and Black neon tetras ... but still researching, Pearl danios, Glow light tetras and H. Rasboras are other options. Regardless of which option ... I'm thinking 10 would be the max number of fish I'd consider.

Funny I should notice this thread now since today I decided to give my 10gal QT to my son (I can always get a rubbermaid tub for QT). Thinking of Cardinal Tetras and Black neon tetras ... but still researching, Pearl danios, Glow light tetras and H. Rasboras are other options. Regardless of which option ... I'm thinking 10 would be the max number of fish I'd consider.
Cardinals and black neons get to be like 2 inches. IMO, they are not good choices for a 10g. This is just me, but in my 10, I stick with schoolers that only reach about an inch max. Otherwise, you can stunt heir growth, or else their bodies take up so much space that there isn't much swimming room left.
Having 10 fish is a good cut-off point.:)

NoFishingAllowed said:
I added my cories (5) to my 10g with my beta.

What kind of cories? And what are the dimensions of your tank?

Another fish that can go with bettas IME are endlers live bearers. They're pretty sweet looking! But all the other fish stated above would work as well:). It all depends on you!!!

MABJ said:
What kind of cories? And what are the dimensions of your tank?

I have 1 peppered and 4 albino. They are tiny.. I don't know the dimensions. I just moved them from my 37g today.

NoFishingAllowed said:
I have 1 peppered and 4 albino. They are tiny.. I don't know the dimensions. I just moved them from my 37g today.

I personally see no issue, some might, however.

Back
Top Bottom