fish for 15 gallon TALL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank dimensions are 20" L * 10" w * 18" TALL. So its a 15 gallons TALL.
I have read that when considering the number of fish to add a 15 gallon TALL tank is equivalent of a 10 gallon tank. Is this true ?

In any case, would 6 serpae tetras and 3 julii cory cats overcrowd the tank? If so, what are the options to replace the serpae tetras?

I think that would make a very nice display. Serpaes don't get very large and are great looking fish. Are you planting the tank?

the tank does not have light - but room light should be enough for aponogetons :p -- I have grown them without trouble and light in the past :)

I have read in this forum before that tanks are good for angels. Would your tank be too small for a koy or three?

Serpae are cool -they swim and feed in the middle of the tank- and Cories stick to the botom. You will be missing some acction on the top particularly in a tall tank. JMO.

maybe some silver hatches or if you can find some marbel hatches.. they are top feeders and look nice.. i keep 3-5 together though... 8)

If you can find Badis badis, they do well in a low light planted tank. They do not need a lot of space and have wonderful personalities. They would take care of the mid and high levels and the cories would fill out the bottom. Or pigmy cats!!

I have a 15 gallon tall and have tetras, cories, a betta and a Molly. I think a Molly or Platy would be a nice addition. You can get any color you want and they will swim in all levels. Although most people say a Molly needs to be in brackish water, I have two in two different tanks that are doing just fine.

Serpae tetras need, at the very least, 20 gallons IMO. They are active and need swimming room. More room tends to lessen their nippiness, especially towards other species in the tank. I think that long tanks are much better for them.

I have the same tank you describe and it is indeed a bit tricky to stock, since, as you mention, it seems much bigger than a 10 but the footprint is about the same. That vertical space does not make much difference. I have stocked mine with a kribensis pair and another time with 5 dwarf puffers, and I have been hoping to stock it with badis badis as mentioned by Menagerie but have not come across any. The other thing I wanted to do with it was put a single SA puffer in it.

I have serpae tetras and they would be fine in there, with the cory cats, but I think it might be a bit boring. A huge mess of guppies or Endler's would be great in there with the cory cats, or you could go with platies or swordtails, or make it a brackish tank and stock it with black mollies.

You could have a single angel in there (tall enough for them but not enough horizontal real estate for more than one) along with a small group of hatchets and the cories, but make sure you put a cover on the tank if you are considering hatchets - they are supreme jumpers.

You could also do the same kind of thing as the angel tank except get a single pearl gourami, or some other type of gourami, some rasboras maybe and the cory cats.

There are lots of options if you are very careful. :)

also if I find any -- i want to keep some MTS to aerate the sand -- how to avoid them reproducing too fast? any small snail eater?

You could go with four or five male guppies along with 5 pygmy cories. If you get a mixture of male and female guppies you'll soon have more guppy fry than you'll know how to deal with.

i think you should about about 6 hatchets and 1 dwarf gourami and call it a day.. 8)

When I kept a DG in a 15gal he killed all of the fish that were in the mid/top of the tank, as that was his territory. He left the cory cats alone. Others have had no such problems with DG's, but I have had two that had behavior problems.

the two that i've had were all well mannered, besides to themselfs that is.. im thikning of adding one with my new angels maybe this weekend..

Sorry for the delay in replying - you could keep a single angel in there. In general, most cichlids will be perfectly happy as the king of their domain, lol. Those 15 gal talls are a perfect dimension for an angel, also.

Back
Top Bottom