Fish for 45 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie53705

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking about getting a 45 gallon tank soon.
This is what I plan to put in it:

10 Harlequin Rasbora

6-8 White Cloud Minnows or possibly Black Skirt Tetra if there is enough room

8 Corydoras Panda/Bandit Cory

6 Endlers/Guppies or 1-2 Dwarf Gouramis

1-2 rams if enough room

1-2 Otto/Dwarf suckling catfish (if there is algae)

I'm wondering if this is too much and I should get a larger tank. I'm concerned aggression between tetras and guppies.

Don't go with the white cloud mountain minnows, they prefer cold water, when endlers and panda cories prefer warm water. Rasboras would be nice, I like the idea of the cories, but maybe, just get six. If that were my tank, i wouldent bother with the endlers or gouramis if you want to fit more in. I would get a pair of bolivian rams and a pleco of some sort. The ottos seem to need planted tanks for long term survival. Plecos will eat algea, and fallen food. What do you think, i know it may not be exactly what you wanted, but i think that is just over-doing it if you go with what you want. hope that helped

The problem is I like guppies, gouramis, and tiger barbs but they can't go into the same tank. So I am thinking about multiple tanks. I am also concerned because most of the fish stay in the top of the tank, does anyone know a fish in the bottom/middle of the tank that gets along with guppies?
Would rams get along with tiger barbs? Does anyone know whether rams stay mostly in the top or bottom of a tank?

Rams stay mostly in the bottom i think. I woulden't put tiger barbs with anything other than other barbs. It could work, but i wouldent risk it, but thats just me. Guppies can go with bolivian rams, that would be nice. A small school of guppies, and some bolivian rams.

I'm thinking two tanks.

Tank Stock 1
10 Harlequin Rasbora

6-8 Tiger Barbs or Black Skirt Tetras or 2-3 Emperor Tetras

1-2 Otto/Dwarf suckling catfish

? Apple Snail or Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Ghost Shrimp

Tank 2 (45 gallon)
6-8 endlers/ guppies

1-2 rams

6-8 white cloud minnows

Apple Snail or Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Ghost Shrimp

Would these tanks be overcrowded? If they are, would the second tank be okay if I took the minnows out or would I have to take the corys out too? For the first tank, should I put emprer tetras in because they only need to be in groups of 2 or do I need to take the corys out too?

The minnows probably wouldent survive in a heated tank anyway, so just take the out. They need cold water. I would lower the number or cories, and the ottos would not survive if the tank is not planted with live plants. The rams might eat the endlers, cuz they are smaller, so i would go with guppies insead. two males, four females. You are supposed to have two females for every male guppy, so that would work out. Sounds good. And one more thing, make sure you don't get German Blue Rams, they are VERY hard to keep alive. I would go with Bolivian Rams, the marking are not as nice, but they are easier. The rams might also think as the shrimp and snails as food. I have heard alot of stories about the rams sucking the snail right out of it's shell. Anyway, i hope I was able to help. And what size will tank one be? will it be 45gal too?

I wouldn't mix tiger barbs with the harlies and cories. They are really active and greedy at feeding time and the harlies may not be able to get food. If you want tiger barbs, get 8 of them and then get 6-8 of a semi-aggressive tetra like Serpaes. The black widows or Emporer tetras would work instead of the barbs.

I've heard of tiger barbs harrassing cories...so I wouldn't try it. How long is your tank? You may be able to have some loaches instead of cories. They would be a better tankmate for barbs, since they aren't quite as peaceful as cories. There are some smaller types like Dwarf Chain loaches, Yoyo loaches (if your tank is long), Polka dot loaches, and Zebra loaches. They are really active though, so if your tank is less than 3 ft, I'd stick with the cories and change out the barbs for the tetras.

8 cories will be fine. They only get 2 inches (pandas or bandits), so 8 would be ok in a 45g tank.

I believe rams will eat the shrimp, so I'd leave them out, unless you just want to buy some ram food...lol.

An apple snail may get picked on. I've never kept one, but since they get bigger than my ramshorn snails (which the ram leaves alone), they may get bullied. I'd go with MTS if you plan to have sand or a fine substrate. They bury, so are great at sifting the sand and help to avoid anaerobic pockets. They are also harder for fish to eat.

I know some people keep white clouds in with other tropicals. Just keep a lower temp., like around 74F. I've never kept them, so I don't know what temp. they like. You could substitute emporer tetras. I think they are really pretty. You will probably have alot of fry...the probably won't all survive with a ram in the tank, but you could get lucky and have some survive, which will increase your stocking. I'd go ahead and have 4-5 Emporers instead of the white clouds.

I'm thinking: (45 gallong tank)
8 Harlequin Rasbora

6 endlers/ guppies (4 female/2 male)

1-2 Bolivian rams

8 Corydoras Panda

ramshorn snails

Ghost Shrimp

I'm wondering if this is overstocking or if I could add some tetras. I'm planning to add plants. Should I take out the rams because they might bother the endlers or the corys? If I did could I add more fish? What would be a good beginner fish that stays mostly in the middle of the tank.

I think you could add another school. I like lemon tetras...not sure what area of the tank they stay in though. I'm guessing top-middle. They are a good beginner tetra and stay small.

The bolivians shouldn't bother anyone. I have one with cories, loaches and tetras and he is totally peaceful.

Get more than 1 otto (i see you have 1-2). Are you going to have plants? Ottos do best in planted tanks IME. Get more than 2 though...because most likely you'll lose atleast 1. I'd get 4.

The ghost shrimp may end up as ram snacks...so don't be alarmed when you can't find them! :)

6-8 Harlequin Rasbora

6+ endlers/ guppies (4 female/2 male)

1 dwarf gouramis

6-8 Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbowfish

1-2 Bolivian rams

5 Yo-yo loaches/dwarf loaches

4 Otto/Dwarf suckling catfish

Malaysian Trumpet Snails or small red ramshorn snails N

Wood Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp (eat fry) or Rainbow Shrimp

Aquatic dwarf frogs

Is this too much fish? Do rams eat snails, if they do I'll take the loaches out?

I put 3 Dwarf Neon Blue Gouramis in my tank today, they are incredibly colorful and active. The are peaceful and get along great with my rasboras.

Back
Top Bottom