Fish for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cronv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After moving around some fish and adding a larger tank to my collection I'm left with an empty 10 gallon ready to stock. I'm open to any ideas but I've got some thoughts in mind.

Here are my ideas:
- Sand substrate w/ a few easy to grow plants and a Rainbow Shark (I like this idea the most right now but I'm afraid the shark will outgrow the 10g too quick.) Also, looking to see if there are any compatible fish that won't take up too much room that could go in here with it.
- Low light planted aquarium with multiple female bettas.
- Breeding tank for something?

Let me know what you think and feel free to share your ideas!

Other notes:
I'd like some fish with individual character, I've already got plenty of Tetras and other small schooling fish!

Rainbow shark....yes way to big for a 10g. You said you have plenty of small schooling like fish.
So...I assume you want something different. A few different ideas I have done are pygmy sunfish, flag fish, and scarlet badis. Badis can be challenging to feed sometimes.

P.s. Not in same tank lol

Fish with individual character.... Ever thought about puffers? You could do with a pair of dwarf puffers in the 10 gallon or a single red eye puffer. I would personally go with the latter if they are available, puffers in general have a bombastic personality and will learn to recognise their owners.

You could maybe go with a small group of sparkling gouramis too. Or if you want you could try bumblebee catfishes too.

Perhaps a shrimp tank?

A betta or a school of fish like cardinal tetras, neon tetras, black neon tetras, gold neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, Pristella "x-ray" tetras, lemon tetras, Celebes rainbows, GloFish, danios, platys, glowlight tetras/danios, rummynose tetras, or redline tetras. All these fish stay relatively small (2-4") so 6-8 of them in a school would be perfect for a 10 gallon. The betta, however, would have to be by itself with any of the other fish as they get aggressive towards each other of the same species.

A betta or a school of fish like cardinal tetras, neon tetras, black neon tetras, gold neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, Pristella "x-ray" tetras, lemon tetras, Celebes rainbows, GloFish, danios, platys, glowlight tetras/danios, rummynose tetras, or redline tetras. All these fish stay relatively small (2-4") so 6-8 of them in a school would be perfect for a 10 gallon. The betta, however, would have to be by itself with any of the other fish as they get aggressive towards each other of the same species.
Only the betta out of that list is recommended for a nano.

I had GloFish in a 10 gallon and they did fine

Both skirt and danio glofish are recommended for a 20 due to size, activity, and there prefrence for being in groups of 6 or more.

I used term recommended. It's your tank and your fish.

If the tank has a longish footprint you could try some Shellies? Neolamprologus brevis might be an idea, you could keep 2 breeding pairs at least. WCMM are supposed to be compatible if u wanted something for the top of the tank too, though I'd look into that a bit more if you wanted to do it

Back
Top Bottom