Fish for a 10g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliverosuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I'm setting up a small 10 gallon tank and plan on putting a Betta in it. Can you guys recommend some other fish suitable for the small tank and having a Betta as a tankmate?

Cory cats come to mind. They stay toward the bottom and most bettas completely ignore them. They're fun to watch too. You could get 4 or 5 of the smaller species like anaeus or pandas. Most bettas are OK with certain tankmates. Keep an eye out for aggression and be prepared to move somebody if necessary

Do you have the betta already?

If you don't, you could do things a little differently & get a few females (their not all bland) from the same spawn.
Can get nice looking pet quality ones (doesn't necessarily mean there's something terribly wrong with them, might just be as simple as not the right color/pattern/tail/etc) for a decent price from a breeder. There's usually little or no aggression between same spawn/gender siblings.

No, I don't have the Betta yet. I have to set the tank up and cycle it still. I should also mention that this tank setup is for my girlfriend's room, so I need fish that don't require a whole lot of attetion.

What exactly do you mean "that don't require a whole lot of attention"? Fish need to be taken care of, just as any other pet would.

What I mean is that I don't want fish that you need to be watching to make sure they're not fighting one another. My girlfriend had a Betta for about 3 years and it just recently died. I want to get her another and maybe something else. I just want to make sure they're fish that won't be hurting themselves, because she spend a great deal of time away from home. Feeding and changing water on the weekends is not an issue. Those things get taken care.

I'd go with a few female bettas. She'll need to feed them sometime during the week. If you do get anything, make sure to understock. Maybe three female bettas.

If you're looking for a multiple fish set up (as it sounds like to me), and have your heart set on bettas, 3 females is a really good choice. They generally look rather lacking in the color department when you're looking at them in the store; but boy oh boy do they blossom when you get them home in a good sized tank and well-fed!! If you don't yet have your heart set on bettas, though, I would also recommend male guppies. They are just as colorful of a fish, without having territorial issues. 5 or 6 of them with various colorations and/or tail types makes for a fairly active 10ga tank. They'll go from top to bottom, too, so there won't be any visual 'dead' areas. Of course, cory cats are always fun to watch. Hilarious little things! Unless you want to have fish virtually indefinitely, do not mix in any female guppies. I started a guppy tank 5 years ago and made that mistake. I had no idea what I was getting into, they multiplied faster than the rabbits my siblings and I kept as kids! I supplied the dorm residents at my school wishing to keep fish with beautiful, active, healthy fish until I graduated this past December. I ended up having to teach a lot of people how to properly care for fish, but it was worth it. You'd be surprised to see how far a little bit of color and life can go toward keeping people sane in a dormitory setting!

I wouldn't recommend it, at least not if the betta is a male, and probably not at all (though I'm not sure about females, never kept any). I tried this before after receiving some bad LFS advice, and only 2 of the 3 guppies lived to be returned to the LFS. I felt horrible about it. Generally, it is best to not keep fish with bettas that have long flowing fins like guppies. At the same time, you have to watch out for fin nippers with bettas, like neons or barbs.

Back
Top Bottom