fish for a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I'm looking for a centerpiece fish for a 20 gallon long aquarium. it will have
6 skunk cories,
10 zebra danios,
and possibly 2 red wag platys (if i can't get my brother to take them, because they are babies now)
what do you guys think would work in here also let me know if that stocking idea will not work, i originally wanted 2 schools but was informed that 1 would work better.

thanks,
Brandon

after looking up some of the rams and apistos i noticed most need ph 5.0-7.0 (roughly) mine i believe is about 7.6 and have never had any fluctuations how would i go about lowering it if i had to get a fish that needed lower ph

I would go for an apisto if you want a dwarf cichlid. They should do fine at 7.6 and IME are less timid so would be a better pairing for 10 zippy schoolers in a 20L. You may have a hard time getting food past 10 danios to a ram.

BHead707 said:
after looking up some of the rams and apistos i noticed most need ph 5.0-7.0 (roughly) mine i believe is about 7.6 and have never had any fluctuations how would i go about lowering it if i had to get a fish that needed lower ph

It's not worth messing with your ph, it will only cause more problems than you fix. Most fish will adapt to water conditions, but rams are notorious for being sensitive.

ok ill start looking more into apistos then, and ya those danios are fatties,

also what specific (idk what to call them)variations???? should i b looking for

Actually GW's are too big for a 20 gal, should not be stocked in singles so not really a CP fish, and are not a good mix for platties and cories.

I ordered my cacatuoides from Severum Mama/HN1(members on this site). I don't think they have them in stock right now, but if you don't have another lead on them, I would PM one of them as it may be something they breed and will available in the near future, or maybe something they can get from another breeder for you. :)

Actually GW's are too big for a 20 gal, should not be stocked in singles so not really a CP fish, and are not a good mix for platties and cories.

I ordered my cacatuoides from Severum Mama/HN1(members on this site). I don't think they have them in stock right now, but if you don't have another lead on them, I would PM one of them as it may be something they breed and will available in the near future, or maybe something they can get from another breeder for you. :)

would i be looking at a single or a pair, i figured a single because my tank isnt huge but i really dont know.

Killifish, in general, are pretty darn hardy. GW's get about 4" with a thick body and big bio-load, and you want to stock more than one so it's not too much of a terror (for some species like the GW anyway), which is too much fish for that tank. Also, I've had platties ripped up by 2" killies of similar nature, so it's not a good pairing IMO. I actually do not keep GW's, but I do keep 6 other types of killies, so I do have a fair bit of experience with them. I would worry the cories would be picked on by GW's as well, and also feeding might be an issue, as you don't want to add sinking pellets/wafers to a tank with killies because of their wide mouths. I've lost killies this way before because they will literally inhale whole wafers/pellets.

would i be looking at a single or a pair, i figured a single because my tank isnt huge but i really dont know.
Single for sure. Your tank would be big enough for a pair w/o the other fish, but the cories would be doomed come mating time.

I agree with siva. The golden wonder is way too active for a 20 long IMO. Also, they prefer groups and are known to eat/bite chunks off of smaller fish.
There are lots of other smaller killi species however. :)

Single for sure. Your tank would be big enough for a pair w/o the other fish, but the cories would be doomed come mating time.

Ok exactly what i wanted to know thank you

other thought: im using sand as a substrate, how much should i shoot for, i will probably get a 50lb bag of pfs but should i use the whole thing? should i shoot for about 1.5inches deep(approx)?

I agree with siva. The golden wonder is way too active for a 20 long IMO. Also, they prefer groups and are known to eat/bite chunks off of smaller fish.
There are lots of other smaller killi species however. :)

thank you, i wasn't having very good luck with researching them

Back
Top Bottom