Fish for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eaglescout007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a newbie with a 10g tank, have all the supplies I need but, Im not sure what fish to get. I want to have alot of color in my tank and something visually appealling, but i also want something that is not going to be to difficult to take care of.

Make sure your tank is getting cycled properly. But for my first fish I had a gray mystery snail. I love watching them cruise along at a surprising speed for a snail. With the snail (whom I named Al Capone, turns out the mobster was a she:blink:) I had two mollies. I made the mistake of just having two males so they fought a bit. But they were easy to take care of. The black one bores me a bit but the white one is really cool to look at against plants and dark substrate.

You can have a betta in a 10 gallon, although it limits you choices of companions a bit.
If you want a schooling fish, you need a fish that stays fairly small. Harlequin rasboras will work. So will neon tetras, chili rasboras, celestial pearl danios, white cloud minnows, etc. Search for nano fish and you should find several lists of small schooling fish. Most don't need any special care, just a cycled tank, regular feeding and regular water changes.

Neons, WCMMs, and Harlequin rasboras need 20 gal tanks due to their activity. What about some male guppies and pygmy cories?

Back
Top Bottom