fish for a sand bottom tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Titus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
any idea's on what kind of fish to put in a sand bottom tank? 50gal, will have 6 gouramys almost for certain, but not sure other than that. Used Tahitian moon sand, pretty light, so i dont want any thing that is a major sand mover, (ie large pleco's). Looking for MTS still, hard to find in my area. Thru a large betta in the tank for cycling, he has been pretty solid for cycling most of the tanks so far. ideas would be appreciated.

Corys would be good little fish. Its pretty neat watching them sift the sand through their gills. They are great for cleaning up any food that falls to the bottom of the tank.

I have this cool little sucker fish in my 29, lfs guy says its a chinese butterly sucker. Looking it up in books and such shows it as a hillstream loach. Cool little guy with massive suction power. Gonna have one of those and will try a cory then. Are they a schooling fish, or will one do?

You can keep any fish with sand so don't look at it as a barrier. What fish interest you?

thinking that im going to go with 6-8 dwarf gouramy's, 7-8 panda cory's, curious if i can go with a pair of blue rams..?.

anyone in the KC Missouri area got some MTS they want to part with? Cant find the darn things anywhere.

As far as finding MTS, aquabid.com always seems to have some for sale. I saw one for 50 MTS for $8 w/free shipping on a buy-it-now. But maybe 50 is a bit many at one time.

coolchinchilla

if you get that many gouramis be sure to get mostly females to cut down any aggression.
If you buy plants from floridadriftwood.com if you ask, theyll throw some mts in for free.

if you want some algae eaters, try some oto's. They don't make a mess like pleco's

will add a pair of Oto's to the list, but still looking into the GBR. Looking for more information on what they prefer for water temps, ph, blah blah. Once i have a camera available i will add a couple pics to my gallery and maybe that will help with the recommendation. wish i could find bio spira here to speed up the cycle. thanks for the ideas though.

Titus- Where in MO are you located? Near the STL area? If so, I know of a store that has Bio-Spira all the time.

saw the site, gonna order the spira, might have to move now though so might wait till i find out from the landlord. SOB... thanks for the link though.

Back
Top Bottom