Fish for super small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neonblack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im sure something like this has been posted.. i cant seem to find it .. so im sorry in advance.

i'm looking to buy one of these..
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/07/30/77/38/82/0730773882212_AV3_500X500.jpg

i am now wondering what i could put in it?
i am not interested much in a betta..
i was looking at a shrimp but i hear they jump...
and i was looking at a fiddler crab.. but they need land
bumble bee gobys look neat.. but they eat bloodworms.. and thats a huge mess for a little tank..

what are your suggestions?

hahaha. i think a fiddler might be okay, and they just need something to breathe i think. like a fake plant to climb up on?

I checked walmarts website and that tank is almost $30.00 8O Not only is it useless it's a complete waste of your money.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3635706

If you wait longer and save a little more you will get much more bang for your buck and a tank that is actually worthy of fish. Also walmart is usually the cheapest place to buy stuff but when it comes to aquariums I don't think they are the cheapest so be sure to check other places. My local petsmart had a black 20 gallon stand w/tank for $99.00

Those tiny tanks are very hard to stock, and it's difficult to maintain a constant temp. They're not cheap either - you can buy a complete 10 gal kit for the price of one of those 1-2 gal acrylic systems. Who makes up the pricing? Go figure!

If you're interested in fish, anything smaller than 2-1/2 gal is inadequate and really a waste of money, IMO.
I have a 2-1/2 gal at work with a single betta in it. That's about all I can do with this tank.

If you're looking for something really small for your desk at work, or for a nightstand, look into hermit crabs. They sell cages not much bigger than that tank. You just have to make sure that they've got a steady source of moisture - a saturated sea sponge works best.

Well, either you could buy a five gallon tank with hood and put some nice shrimps in there (they are very interesting to watch).

e.g.http://aquatic-store.com/en-us/dept_307.html

or I would really save the money to buy a bigger aquarium. You don't have to get a 55g if you don't want to start out that immense from the beginning. Get a 14-15g. You can already keep quite a few fish in there and the water quality is more stable!

For $30 at walmart you could get a 5 gal setup... keep a betta and 3 small corys (schwartzis are really small)

Are you really that stuck with space? For $30, there must be better options than that.

Sadly, those little acrylic tanks are all about 'fashion' and not 'function'. Some cherry shrimp would work in it...that's about it. maybe a big snail.

Cherry shrimp is a good idea. I saw one of those done as a nano with LR and a couple of shrimp and a small crab or two once....not sure how the guy heated it though....crazy amount of work and money for a tank the size of a coffee mug.

Actually, from a different angle, these tanks are very nice. My wife has one on her desk at work and keeps a betta in it. She used to keep adf, but they somehow disappeared after 2 years. Fancy guppies are another nice choice. The only problem she has had is with evaporation because there is no lid. My LSF has one as a display that is almost full of live rock with a small anenome and juvinille clown fish, and it's flourishing. Although they don't recommend doing that to their customers, they only have it to show off their abilities.

I agree with the above for the most part.. talloulou being a bit on the funny side..
unless its 5 gallons+ I dont think fish is a good idea..
How much water fits in that aquavase thing.. it says XL???? is there a small! 8O

my lfs has one at the register (mostly because they sell them i think). they keep a whitecloud and a few stems of some kind of wispy plant in it. the whitecloud actually seems ok. but in general, as a victim of not only mts but also wbbt (wanting bigger and bigger tanks), i'd get the largest one that is economical and practical for your situation.

On shrimp, they are the absolute coolest! :) I love mine, you can always try to get some plastic wrap over it to cover, the shrimp wont get out. I have Red Cherry / Cherry Red shrimp. They usually cost $2-4 dollars each so not really the best idea for the cycle, they also really like live plant so unless you can get them in there you may be better off with fish.

If you dont wanna do that, go with really small fish (obviously) your pet store will try to sell you fancy guppies for $1-$2, but if you can find feeder guppies you can ge them at $0.10 and if they are marked right (for some reason I get minnows too :/) you can fit them in there, but I wouldn't put more then 2 in there.

Back
Top Bottom