Fish gasping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
My fish are gasping. My ammonia is 0 and is fully cycled. I don't know what's going on. What do I do. I just got back from a weeks vacation.

Nitrites are 0. I did move my tank last week and did a 80 percent Pwc then. No co2. Really not sure what's wrong.

I just did a 25 per pwc. no difference yet. I am verry baffled. My tetras seem fine its just my guppies and a cory or 2. but dont corys breathe air from the surface, although they are up there quite a while. idk whats going on with the guppies.

not enough oxygen?

airstones and power filters help agitate the water at the surface, and increase gas exchange.

ehiem 2213 canister. yes the cories are gasping, well one of them at least. the tetras arent however.

what size is your tank?

do you only have tetras and cories?
how many fish do you have?

So, I check my fish this morning, seem alittle better. Then I fed them and there doing it agin. Maybe there just eating bubbles. But the corys hangout up there quite a long time, that worries me.

This may be re-stating the obvious, but when your fish are fed, pollution is added to the fishes' water directly in the form of the fish food, and indirectly in the form of fish poop caused by the fish feeding. That added pollution may be what is causing your fish to gasp after they have been fed.

Sadly, it often seems that gasping fish become dead fish unless some action is taken by the fish keeper. Please consider doing at least 25% PWCs (Partial Water Changes) every few hours or at least twice a day (morning and evening) until the fish stop gasping, and then continue the PWCs until the fish no longer gasp after being fed. And then do a few PWCs after that point just to be safe.

I know all those PWC can be a lot of work, but it will be worth it when your fish are happy and healthy again.

Any other opinions on this subject. All my parameters are in check, I keep wATer at 78 degrees. Is that too hot? I added an airstone for now and will do another pwc tonight.

78 is fine for more fish. And it could have been not enough oxygen in the water

if adding an airstone solved the problem, your tank likely was running low on oxygen. what kind of filter are you using?

Back to gasping again. ExpeciLly one Cory. He is hanging at the top blowing bubbles. My guppies seem to blow bubbles too. What is Wrong with my tank. The water is pristine. Only 10 ppm nitrates. I'm really confused.

Back
Top Bottom