Fish gasping after water change (??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did about a 30 gallon water change a couple of hours ago on my 75 gallon tank. It's currently cycling with 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Today was the first time I have had a Nitrite reading. It was .25 before I did the change. Ammonia at .50 which it has remained at for over a week. pH is normally around 7.6-8 but read closer to 7.4-7.6 today.

All of those tests were before the change.

I just noticed 4 of my 6 WCMM were in the corner of the tank at the surface. All look sluggish and possibly gasping for air. I did read that they can be sensitive to prime as I may have overdosed today. Before today all 6 fish have been very active.

I'm currently doing a water change. I use a sink to tank system, so I am not exactly sure the %. Should I do a large change? What about adding the prime back?

Thanks!

I had one fish go belly up during the water change and a second start convulsing all over the tank. What have I done?? :(

Which water conditioner are you using? Is the temperature difference between new and existing water kept to a minimal?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use prime and I tried to keep the temp as close as possible. It may have been a degree or two above

Alright, with it being city water what's the pH of the water of your tank, water fresh from the tap, and tap water that's been sitting out for a few hours?

Do you use any other additives on your tank?

How much of an overdose do you think prime is usually quite safe upto 5 times its concentration. Also is the tank completely cycled?

If you are using prime in higher concentrations before your tank is fully cycled you can interrupt the nitrogen cycle by binding all free ammonia. After this effect dissipates the ammonia, plus all created by fish are placed back in the water Column. Which could lead to ammonia building up to toxic levels.

How much of an overdose do you think prime is usually quite safe upto 5 times its concentration. Also is the tank completely cycled?

If you are using prime in higher concentrations before your tank is fully cycled you can interrupt the nitrogen cycle by binding all free ammonia. After this effect dissipates the ammonia, plus all created by fish are placed back in the water Column. Which could lead to ammonia building up to toxic levels.

The ammonia and nitrite that is detoxified by prime is still available to be used by the beneficial bacteria in the tank. In any case, a 0.5ppm of ammonia is still not toxic.

I had this happen once when I was new to fish keeping. I had glass tops and I filled the water way too high. There wasn't enough surface area/space between the water and top so the fish weren't getting enough oxygen. Can you try increasing the water flow? A bubble wand or anything that can agitate the surface and add surface area for gas exchange? If they are gasping I would think ammonia or lack of oxygen. Since its a fresh water change I would guess lack of oxygen. Can you post pics of the tank?

Today was the first time I have had a Nitrite reading. It was .25 before I did the change. Before today all 6 fish have been very active.

Thanks!

Haven't you been cycling for a week now? Did you get some seeded media?

As far as the fish go I usually get weird behavior when I don't get the pH quite right. Check your tank pH now and compare it to the previous reading, also fresh from the tap and after sitting for 24 hours. Another thing to mention is that ammonia becomes more toxic as pH rises, but your readings are so low that this is likely not the issue.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is there any redness on the face or gills of your fish?

The only explanations I can think of are:

Ammonia poisoning
Lack of oxygenation
pH swing

Caleb

If I'm assuming correct you're in Virginia? If so what city? I'm in Arlington and the tap water is crap. I would try doing more water changes weekly, or small daily.
How long has the tank been running? It really sounds like new tank syndrome, only time and water changes will stabilize the tank. For the fish gasping, does you're filter move enough surfice water? It should look like it's boiling or a slight current.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The high nitrite reading could be the issue. Nitrite binds to hemoglobin and interrupts bloods ability to carry oxygen, hence the gasping. Nitrite is far more toxic than ammonia and Prime has been shown to help with nitrite poisoning, so you shouldn't be concerned about the Prime.

how are checking the temps?
It really sounds like a temp difference to kill in the middle of a change

increase surface agitation, add airstones, anything to keep the surface tension broken and circulate water from the bottom to the top and oxygenation shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom