Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

fish getting very pale

I transferred my neon tetra and my shrimp in a white cooler. Added the water from they original aquarium and its accessories, (heater, filter, etc.)

They look very very pale. Is it because they are stress? or are they adapting to the white environment?

It bin 2 days now. Gonna stay there for 5 more days, maybe more.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Apisto addiction

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice
I transferred my neon tetra and my shrimp in a white cooler. Added the water from they original aquarium and its accessories, (heater, filter, etc.)

They look very very pail. Is it because they are stress? or are they adapting to the white environment?

It bin 2 days now. Gonna stay there for 5 more days, maybe more.
Im not sure if all fish do this, but I know mine and a lot of other people's fish lose their color a bit when they haven't been in the light for a while... in the morning when I turn my light on, the fish aren't as colorful. But when I get home in the evening, they are back to normal. It could also be from stress, I don't see why a fish wouldn't be stressed after being transferred to a cooler. Maybe you should add some plants or decorations or something to help them feel more at home.

maxwellag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rights , that's what weird. its not something that i have encounter before . And now, they are all most transparent .
Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've come to believe that stress and water quality greatly affect fish color. I have a striped angel that almost loses all it's black stripes when I perform water changes. An hour or so later, when it's had the chance to calm down, it's stripes return to a deep black. I also have some turquoise rainbows that exhibit color change with light like maxwellag alluded to. I've also had many fish that were dull at the lfs brighten up when introduced to my tank. I attribute that change to better living conditions.

Ultimately, experience is the best teacher.
OhNeil1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Humm they only difference is that , they probably don't like being in a "all white environment " where it can be easy for them to be seen. Or something horribly wrong with they cooler material intoxicating the fish. I just don't know. I will verify what you say tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've noticed neon tetras becoming very pale in stressful situations, sometimes lasting for a few days.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

They could either be hungry, or stressed. Usually when i move my glowlights their color fades, same if they done eat for a few days
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with siva on this one. When I had neon tetras, they got stressed quite easily. Give them a few days to a week, and they should color up. If not, then something's wrong.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag View Post
Im not sure if all fish do this, but I know mine and a lot of other people's fish lose their color a bit when they haven't been in the light for a while... in the morning when I turn my light on, the fish aren't as colorful. But when I get home in the evening, they are back to normal. It could also be from stress, I don't see why a fish wouldn't be stressed after being transferred to a cooler. Maybe you should add some plants or decorations or something to help them feel more at home.
This happens to my female Auratus too in the morning. after about 20 mins or so in the light they're all back to normal. it's like when they sleep their color fades. Dunno if it's normal or not but my 3 girls are healthy & tank is 0/0/20 at 76 degrees so no idea.
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ohh ya! My tetras coler fades when they sleep too!

Tags
pale

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com