Fish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not exactly, but I'd guess it's in the genus Schistura. The markings look kind of like S. mahnerti but the coloration doesn't look right for that species.

Not exactly, but I'd guess it's in the genus Schistura. The markings look kind of like S. mahnerti but the coloration doesn't look right for that species.
wow a response from the huge fish room person. It does kinda look like that fish.

Do you have more than one? This type of loach is really active and interesting in a group. I've kept mahnerti and balteata and they're just all around cool fish.

Do you have more than one? This type of loach is really active and interesting in a group. I've kept mahnerti and balteata and they're just all around cool fish.
i have two right now. That is all they had where I bought them

In my (admittedly, limited) experience, S. mahnerti has different coloration. The finnage of mahnerti is pretty red and I'm not seeing that here.

I am far from a loach expert, for sure... but occasionally, a shop will order a species and get that order, along with a fish or two that is obviously not the species that was ordered, but isn't super easy to ID. It could be that you have a species that you'll be able to ID if you just do enough digging around on the interwebs. It could be that you have an undescribed species that snuck its way in to the store's order. I would love to see what an expert in loaches has to say about this. :)

It's not acanthocobitis botia. This striping pattern is completely different, the tail patterning is different, and it lacks the spot just before the tail characteristic of the species.

It screams schistura mahnerti to me. The color isn't as pronounced likely because it's stressed from relocation and doesn't have a school, and probably hasn't been eating as well.

It's not acanthocobitis botia. This striping pattern is completely different, the tail patterning is different, and it lacks the spot just before the tail characteristic of the species. It screams schistura mahnerti to me. The color isn't as pronounced likely because it's stressed from relocation and doesn't have a school, and probably hasn't been eating as well.
ive look at them and I think it is schistura mahnerti like he says. It might also not have its color do to being young.

Back
Top Bottom