fish ID!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey fellow aquarists! I just bought this adorable little aqua baby yesterday and I'm having trouble figuring out what it is.
Its a synodontis catfish but that's as far as I got.
They had it labeled as synodontis hybrid, but when I looked that up that species has lots of small sports on its head in contrast to the rest of their body. This guy has all uniform spots. whiskers are white.
Picture:

ForumRunner_20140122_112856.jpg

Sorry for picture quality it was feeding time!

Looks like some type of Synodontis to me. There are something like 150 different species of Synodontis.

Looks like some type of Synodontis to me. There are something like 150 different species of Synodontis.

Yes I tried looking through pictures almost impossible to scroll through everything! I guess sit doesn't matter that much. They all pretty much eat the same and get 7-9".

Yes I tried looking through pictures almost impossible to scroll through everything! I guess sit doesn't matter that much. They all pretty much eat the same and get 7-9".

Not true. Some get over 2 foot! Some stay 4 inches. Where did you get this pretty?

Not true. Some get over 2 foot! Some stay 4 inches. Where did you get this pretty?

He is! Definitely looks like it eupterus in it with those spots and that high fin. I got him from an LFS in San jose, ca called king aquarium. I love that the little guy is active and not shy. I wasn't expecting to see him out and about this morning

He is! Definitely looks like it eupterus in it with those spots and that high fin. I got him from an LFS in San jose, ca called king aquarium. I love that the little guy is active and not shy. I wasn't expecting to see him out and about this morning

Hmmmm... I was hoping you would say petsmart since they only carry few species. Honestly it coukd be impossible to id because their are so many hybrids and it could br a hynrid between two hybrids lol

Hmmmm... I was hoping you would say petsmart since they only carry few species. Honestly it coukd be impossible to id because their are so many hybrids and it could br a hynrid between two hybrids lol

Idk if youre in the bay area, but I was calling around and pet smart does carry the African featherfin sqeaker. Those are very nice too. About 8" avg max out. They get dark as they get older but nice fins. They had em for $17

Idk if youre in the bay area, but I was calling around and pet smart does carry the African featherfin sqeaker. Those are very nice too. About 8" avg max out. They get dark as they get older but nice fins. They had em for $17

Oh Im not looking I was just trying to ID yours for you :)

Oh Im not looking I was just trying to ID yours for you :)

Oooh lol gotcha. Yeah I'm not sure. Plus km questioning if this is really a hybrid since I have seen fish incorrectly labeled at this store before. Oh well seems I am not to know the true identity of this one just yet. Maybe when he gets older it might be a little more distinguishable .

Oooh lol gotcha. Yeah I'm not sure. Plus km questioning if this is really a hybrid since I have seen fish incorrectly labeled at this store before. Oh well seems I am not to know the true identity of this one just yet. Maybe when he gets older it might be a little more distinguishable .

You might trh posting in the cichlid section. Cichlid keepers are big on synos.

Back
Top Bottom