Fish ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hs123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone tell me what kind of fish this is? Looks to be some kind of catfish but I'm not sure and I want to be able to take care of it.
image.jpg

Would it be alright to keep it in a 5 gallon tank with 2 glofish for now? I don't want to return it to Walmart where it's almost garunteed to die within weeks.

Would it be alright to keep it in a 5 gallon tank with 2 glofish for now? I don't want to return it to Walmart where it's almost garunteed to die within weeks.

A 5 gallon is too small for glofish, let alone even a young pangasius. Honestly... I normally wouldn't say this about a healthy fish, but you're better off euthanizing it. I wasn't joking about the indoor pond; those fish get 3 feet long. That fish has a 99.999% chance of suffering in a too-small tank before it dies. Unless you can actually find someone with an indoor pond...

It's so sad that they torture these fish like that, and the workers know nothing about them. I didn't even plan on getting it but they were in the same tank as the glofish.

It's completely ill-advised that they're sold. 3 feet and over 10 pounds, they're a giant in the aquarium world, think LeBron James in a prius. It's an unfortunate situation but if you have the availability to return it do so, if not I'll link you a video of these guys swimming in a 6 fit kiddie pool, even that is only temporary, they grow to be monsters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not just ill-advised, it's a waste that they're sold because pangasius filets are DELICIOUS and one of the more eco-friendly aquaculture species.

I've had it for 2 months so I highly doubt they would take it back. Either way it'll live it's last day in a 5 gallon tank, so sad

I've had it for 2 months so I highly doubt they would take it back. Either way it'll live it's last day in a 5 gallon tank, so sad

Sorry about that. It sucks that the aquarium industry as a whole isn't more responsible about what it sells.

Well perhaps there are alternatives, is there a petco near you for adoption? Maybe it could be adopted to someone with a 55 where it will live 8 months rather than two. A rubber maid 26+ gallon can be had for $10. Idk, just seems a shame to doom it to a slow stunted death in a 5, as sini referenced euthanasia would be more humane. Picture your organs growing to the point they erupted from your skin, this is what transpires... I'm not trying to be grim here, just evaluating the situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom