Fish ID Please - Anyone know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Saw these today they seemed interesting but I couldn't figure out what they are?!

Tank said Platy but did not match any Platy I knew of.
60074-albums13946-picture70274.jpg

60074-albums13946-picture70275.jpg

60074-albums13946-picture70276.jpg

LOL! Wow, that was kinda funny...

It seemed they reminded me of a Cherry Barb and they were gold so I googled gold barb and WHAT do you think popped up?

Golden Barb!!!

I have never seen these before!

Any one keep these?

Glad you figured it out. *I could've had a V8
Never had them but they do resemble cherry barbs. I understand they get a bit larger, though (3" vs 2" max).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I have several. I really like them: they are very active but don't bother their other tank mates, even the long finned ones! They are aggressive eaters, but so are the other fish in the tank, so no one out-competes the others.

Edit to add: they also look really nice against black sand!

Thank you for the input.

They seemed friendly to each other in the tank. They are a striking color combo with a unique body shape too.

Though Platy have a couple varieties which are similarly colored.

It was a surprise it was so simple to figure out their identity!

What happened was that they had little whiskers and they weren't Koi and didn't look like Platy as were their tankmates and the label.

It was funny I got a match on my first guess!

You never know when you you see a unknown fish that is new to you, whether it is an unusual or rare find.

At this time I probably won't be adding them as I have had my eye on some Odessa Barbs (don't think I would need 2 kinds of Barbs right now.)

Odessa barbs are so pretty: good choice! I was actually looking at the Odessas at my LFS the other day, and thinking I need to get some, someday. (But not now: I already have too many fish!)

Back
Top Bottom