Fish ID - wild type betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was strolling through the LFS with a friend and they had baby bettas that had just come in, less than an inch all in cups. They were all kinda funny lookin, but there were a couple that looked really different from any bettas I've ever seen, I got one and my friend got the other. I was going to wait it out and just see what this little guy grew up to but I'm impatient so I'm asking you guys what you think s/he might be. If it weren't for her kind of strange behavior I'd just wait and see, but she's funny....First of all, she digs pits in the gravel/sand, and lays in them, and protects them. Second, she's really really aggressive, especially for such a young betta. She's just barely at an inch long right now and definitely has a territory staked out. She had all of my guppy fry in one tiny corner of a full ten gallon tank this afternoon. She's also obsessed with getting through the glass...it's weird, it's like domestic fish ignore it, they know it's there but they don't care. Not her, she wants it GONE. Her colors also change from a light green, to an emerald, to a deep purple, to blue depending on her mood, but the stripes are always there. There's also dots on her dorsal fins (no, she's not sick, these are like legit colored dots on her fins, I promise). Anyway, any guesses are welcome...ignore the tiny tank, they were in my snail tank while I upgraded their ten to a twenty so it was the perfect time to take pictures. Also, just thought of someone mentioning stress lines...I've had her for about 3 weeks now, she eats great, and I put her alone for a while to see if the stripes would go away and they did not. They do not fade at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
It looks like a betta falx which is a wild species of betta. If you watch videos on YouTube of people catching wild bettas in malaysia, these are what u will be seeing them catch most of the time

Oh wow, that looks very similar to her. She's much more colorful, do you think it's possible she is mixed with a more domestic type betta? When she's happy she turns the most vibrant of colors. It also says these guys only get 1.5-2 inches so I suppose she is probably older than what I thought as well, which might explain the aggression.

Last edited:
GodFan said:
Thats a licorice gourami. Cool looking fish!

Oh yah haw!!! I just had betta in my head and I didn't even consider a licorice gourami. I knew I has seen one somewhere tho. Bmtiz, when your fish gets "happy " does it turn like a turquoise color?

Hmm her body shape looks more like the licorice gourami, she looks kinda of like that but more diluted. She doesn't have the "chocolate" color. Is it possible she could be mixed with something else? Her body is a lighter cream color, and the stripes are slightly darker with her fins being the blue/green. If you shine a light on her, she turns green. Here's a picture with the flash on so you see what I mean. When you shine a light on her, she literally looks like a completely different fish.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 305
I have two female bettas that are nearly identical to this, although their colors differ. One of them is blue with pink fins with this insanely bright blue shine. She is SO colorful and displays those horizontal lines. I also have a lavender one who again has these stripes and dots just as you mentioned. I at first thought it was stress lines but have determined it can't be the case. It's really odd how they just change color! Mind want to "attack" the glass as well!

Maybe she is just a betta, I don't know. The only thing that really make me think differently is her behavior...She just doesn't act like any other betta I've ever seen. Here's a few better pics just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_1960.jpg
    IMG_1960.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1959.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 230
she could definitely be some sort of hybrid. your lfs could have gotten them from a breeder who was experimenting with different combinations. i have seen bettas with light stripes on them at like petsmart and petco so it is definitely possible

Well after reading this Licorice Gourami (Parosphromenus deissneri)) it doesn't seem to me that it is what they are. I know what you mean about the strange behavior though. They are definitely different than my male bettas.

Here are pics of my two: Sorry about the quality. They move so darn fast. The blue one apparently isn't in the mood to display her stripe but it's always there.

Attachments

• DSCF1456.jpg
    DSCF1456.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCF1453.jpg
    DSCF1453.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF1452.jpg
    DSCF1452.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 163
Weird...I can't wait to see what she grows up to be (if she grows lol). She's really neat, just really strange looking and acting. No matter what she is she looks really cool and I'm so glad I got her, plus, I only paid 50 cents for her LOL

That top picture looks a lot like mine as well. They are definitely hard to get pictures of!! I took a bazillion before I got the ones I showed y'all. I've noticed this girls fins are real pointy compared to how other bettas are more rounded out, too.

Wow I dont know. Do licorice gouramis change color that drastically under intense light? Maybe it is a hybrid....

Check out croaking gouramis (genus Trichopsis) to see if one matches. I think Trichopsis vittata is likely. By the way, check a few images, as there is a bit of variation in colour pattern.

Tony

I really don't know LOL But she looks like a completely different fish under light. I may try to take a video tonight so I can show you the different colors, different intensities of lights show different/more intense colors. It's crazy but really freaking cool LOL

Tony Gill said:
Check out croaking gouramis (genus Trichopsis) to see if one matches. I think Trichopsis vittata is likely. By the way, check a few images, as there is a bit of variation in colour pattern.

Tony

I don't think its a gourami actually. This fish dies have the same thread-like pelvic fins that all gouramis have

Fair enough - though technically Bettas (and paradise fish) are gouramies. In any case, the more I look at the photos the more I think it is a Betta ... perhaps just a female B. splendens.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom