Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish ideas?

So I have this 36 gallon bow front with a African brown knife fish, 3 agassizi Cory cats, and a redtail shark. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to add to my tank. I'm looking for more of a schooling fish but really any ideas are cool! Please help me thank you!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate to break it to you, but it likely you will have a disaster with that stock matching. The Knife will eventually swollow a cory, correction, get a cory lodged in it's throat and that will be that. Depending on the size of the Shark and the Knife, the Shark may be first. You have two very aggressive bottom carnivores and armered cat fish. The Knife and the Shark need at least a 55gal and that is not putting them together.

I'd suggest deciding which of the current fish you want to keep and go from there.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 AM   #3

I'm glad you told this to me. We'll I'm gonna put the Cory cats in my 29 gallon (2 angels, 5 dwarf gouramis) and I'll take the red tail back. Now having only the knife fish in there what fish would you recommend? Right now he's only about 5 inches long and also I will be upgrading when he gets to big for this tank.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #4

I was told any cat fish breed and any shark would really work coming from a local fish store that I bought the knife from.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by palechek13 View Post
I'm glad you told this to me. We'll I'm gonna put the Cory cats in my 29 gallon (2 angels, 5 dwarf gouramis) and I'll take the red tail back. Now having only the knife fish in there what fish would you recommend? Right now he's only about 5 inches long and also I will be upgrading when he gets to big for this tank.
Most of those dwarf gouramis female?
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My african brine knife gets along real well with panda Cory's. They shared a cave and they would rest under his head
Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brown ghost knife stay a lot smaller (6-8") then black ghost knife (over a foot) and are commonly more docile. Your corys will grown around 2-3" and they could be able to co-exists with the brown ghost knife, but not in that sized tank. They really should be in a 55g, and I would say at 5" now is the time. If you wait much longer you might stunt its growth and shorten its lifespan dramatically. Also, I wouldn't recommend a redtail with cory cats. Redstails have a tendency to take over the bottom of a tank if there isn't anything larger/tougher then them. A 55g with a brown knife and redtail is a very good start for a semi aggressive tank. Most catfish spices would be ok with a redtail, but not cory cats.

As for the 29g, how long has it been setup with 5 gourami and 2 angels?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

I've had the 29 gal for 7 months and there is 2 male and 3 female gouramis. The redtail is not even like 2 inches yet and he's getting along with everyone so far. The knife is very active at dusk and dawn and he shares a cave with the redtail.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

I'm just looking for fish that are known to work with the brown knife. But I appreciate the info.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by palechek13 View Post
I'm just looking for fish that are known to work with the brown knife. But I appreciate the info.
Just about any fish bigger than 2 inches and not nippy will work fine. They are very peaceful fish.

Tags
fish, fish ideas, ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com