Fish ideas? Empty tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseynewton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 90 gallon setup. I currently have over 60 fish combined half of them are cardinal tetras, the other half rummy nose tetras. I also have a common pleco going to get replaced with gold nugget or a non veggie eater. ( Any recommendations here?) I am originally thinking planted Discus community. If I don't go with discus. What larger size colorful fish are available that are tropical, low PH fish, and community? Any recommendations from experience. Or names of fish you have come across. Thanks forum. :)

Note: I put up a picture. See how tiny those fish are. Haha. Now I need large ones I can see from across the room!

Attachments

• image-294857368.jpg
    image-294857368.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 148
Discus would be absolutely stunning in that tank IMO, but if you don't want to go with discus, some of the bigger fish that meet your requirements are some of the dwarf cichlids, ex. apistos, german blue rams, keyholes etc., angels (IMO you could add for or five of them to that tank), or you could try some of the bigger tetras like the deeper-bodied species (the scientific name starts with an H, I think its Herrigamus? Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Really, it's all up to your personal preference. :)

Thanks that gives me some names to look. Honestly I will probably go with Discus. It's the reason I set the tank up. But it would be smart to know all options.

It is ideal to have a shoal of 5 or more discus(unless you buy a pair). If you keep less than that usually the smallest one gets bullied and in some cases get sick and die. The reason I'm saying this is if you get 5 discus(ideal #), your tank will be way over stocked with the 60 tetras you have now. IMO, the 90g is just enough for those tetras, considering both cardinals and rummy nose grows over an inch plus the pleco. I would consider getting rid of some of the tetras(new tank, sell?) before buying discus. If you want to consider your tank a "discus tank", I would get the amount of discus that is ideal(pair or at least 5) then adjust the rest of the stock. That's just me.

You should keep your nitrate below 20ppm if you have discus. If you decide to keep 60 tetras plus discus and the pleco, your nitrate levels will go up fast even in a heavily planted tank. This can work out but I would check your levels everyday for at least a week and see how much the levels changes and base on the nitrate how much PWCs a week you'll need to do.

Last edited:
If you're interested in just one larger fish I would consider a gourami. I've had a blue gourami in with smaller peaceful fish for over a year and it's worked out beautifully as long as you only have one.

I recently discovered Congo Tetras which I feel are pretty nice looking. I've seen them get to be about 4". A school of them would be easily seen from across the room. Otherwise a Gourami would play nice, I'm not sure about multiples in a 90gal, you might have room if you add more plants to break the line of sight. I vote for keeping it discus and rehoming some of what you have in there now.

Yea, I think discus too! I'll have to remove some tetras. Either way, for a long while. I'll probably be doing 3 water changes per week. :) so excited.

Back
Top Bottom