fish ideas for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
soo my cousin is giving me her old 10g. its going to be a freshwater tank but i need fish ideas. i was thinking killi fish but im still not sure. have any other ideas? i like unique fish (i already have platys, mollies, guppys, etc) and wanted something a little more unique and colorful. any ideas appreciated :)

dwarf rainbow gourami or a betta or a school of harlequin rasboras
Hello,

A "Dwarf Rainbow Gourami" is the same thing as a Dwarf Gourami. Dwarf gouramis need at least a 20 gallon tank. Anything less and they can be quite a mean fish. A Honey gourami would much more suited for this set-up.

Here's some fish I came up with:

- Honey Gourami
Very peaceful community fish

- Sparkling Gourami
Nice small fish that likes to be in groups

- Endlers livebearers
Nice community fish that breeds really fast (Make sure to get all the same gender if you don't want babies)

- Pygmy Corydora
Nice community fish that needs a well established tank and a school of 4-6

- Chili Rasbora
Community schooling fish that needs to be in a school of at least 6

- Male or Female betta
Nice fish, but be careful when choosing tankmates.

- Dwarf Puffer
Peaceful FW fish that needs a nicely established aquarium, not really tankmate friendly though

Hello,

A "Dwarf Rainbow Gourami" is the same thing as a Dwarf Gourami. Dwarf gouramis need at least a 20 gallon tank. Anything less and they can be quite a mean fish. A Honey gourami would much more suited for this set-up.

Here's some fish I came up with:

- Honey Gourami
Very peaceful community fish

- Sparkling Gourami
Nice small fish that likes to be in groups

- Endlers livebearers
Nice community fish that breeds really fast (Make sure to get all the same gender if you don't want babies)

- Pygmy Corydora
Nice community fish that needs a well established tank and a school of 4-6

- Chili Rasbora
Community schooling fish that needs to be in a school of at least 6

- Male or Female betta
Nice fish, but be careful when choosing tankmates.

- Dwarf Puffer
Peaceful FW fish that needs a nicely established aquarium, not really tankmate friendly though
cool i look into these

OOH yes a couple of microfish in there would look amazing. Also dwarf puffers can be community fish, you just have to add them last and make sure the tank is planted to maximum capacity for fish to hide just in case. :)

How about sawbwas? They're microfish and can be beautiful!

I do know some people who have kept a single angel in a 10 gallon with a few other community fish, but I personally recommend at least a 20 gallon for an angel. I recently inherited a 10 gallon with a 2 year old golden angel in it and the fish's growth has been dramatically stunted. A 10 gallon is not deep enough to accommodate the angels long fins properly. I am re-homing the angel and getting a school of ember tetras. Darling little microfish. :)

If you plant the tank and maybe add black sand as substrate 5 male guppies would look nice. I know you said you already had guppies but your options are limited with a 10G

Last edited:
Idk I think I've said this already, but I think black sand on a planted looks amazing. Not only does it make your fish look brighter, but it makes your plants pop out more

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110719_223941.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_223941.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20110719_224011.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_224011.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20110719_224048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110719_224048.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 74
hmm sounds interesting. Let me know if you do it i'd like to see some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom