Fish ideas please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsunshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, I thought I had it all figured out... but now I'm wondering...

I have a 20g tank with ample filtration and completely cycled. Current inmates are:

- 5 kuhli loaches
- 6 small neon tetra (3/4")

I was planning to put in:
- 5 harlequin rasboras
- 5 panda cories
- 1 dwarf gourami

But I'm not supre keen on the Harlequin rasboras for some reason. I wondered if there's anything more colourful that would work. I would like some ative fish that would show themselves. Currently the loaches hide, and the tetras are hiding in the back corner of the tank.

The cories I'm told are pretty active, and I pcik the gourami for some colour...

dont get a dwarf gourami. look it up, most have major diseases from being bred and kept in improper conditions overseas... trust me i got a DG and then my three spotted gourami got sick and died.... the dwarf got over the sickness but the three spotted one died from whatever was passed to him from the Dwarf..:-|

Personally i think that i would do a school of either bleeding heart tetras, Rummy nose tetras, or Black emperor tetras. I would maybe through in some hatchet fish too.

*EDIT*
What evil said is true but i would not rule it out. They are more prone to disease then most but they are good fish. I have had them and they do fine but just be prepared. It is like a Hippo tang in SW. They are prone to disease but people have them and love them even though. Also keep 1 per tank or 1 male and 2 or 3 females. But i think you were planning on 1.

Personally i think that i would do a school of either bleeding heart tetras, Rummy nose tetras, or Black emperor tetras. I would maybe through in some hatchet fish too.

*EDIT*
What evil said is true but i would not rule it out. They are more prone to disease then most but they are good fish. I have had them and they do fine but just be prepared. It is like a Hippo tang in SW. They are prone to disease but people have them and love them even though. Also keep 1 per tank or 1 male and 2 or 3 females. But i think you were planning on 1.

well said. yeah i agree i really just wanted to warn about it.

Lol, i keep meaning to make a prison shaped aquarium. Make jail cells with ghost shrimp that cant get out. I was making it custom.

lol that would be cool. then get some type of fish that is black and white with stripes lol

I love my DG's and they a pretty dang hearty! 2 did die on me though. One from being picked on to death, and the other one I am not sure. Good luck finding females though, no one seems to have them, since no one wants them.
I like my Harlequins! They are funny, and they are fast enough to get away from my DG if he's being grouchy.

Thanks guys!

I like the bleeding heart tetras a lot - but I might stick with the rasboras after all - since they are more of an upper-mid tank inmate!

I also noticed Lemon tetras. Anyone have any advice about those?

Any other upper-mid tank suggestions?

...And yes, I do think of them as prisoners. Imagine living your entire life in a tank! I hope I can make it as nice as possible for them.

Back
Top Bottom