Fish in a bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
The fish selection I have in my town is pitiful, however there is a big pet store an hour and a half away from where I live. I think the fish would be a lot healthier if I bought them there and I would have a MUCH bigger selection. But, would the fish survive an hour and a half in the bag, and even if they survive, would it be very healthy?

Would depend on the fish but in general the fish would be fine in my opinion/experience.

IMO a hour in a half is ok. 3 1/2 hours I would say MAX. It would still be healthy fish. Assuming they put oxygen in.

The closest lfs to me is 1.5-2 hours away. I've only lost one out of 30 fish. when my gf moved in with me we bagged some guppies and a cat fish one evening and didn't get them into a tank till the next afternoon, but they all lived :D Where my gf grew up it was an 8 hour drive for fish and she didn't have any problems. That all being said I've found that putting the bags into a dark box (try and keep as much light out as possible) seems to reduse stress on the fish. Good luck :D

I have kept a cray in a bag for at least 3 hours and he was fine.

Fish ship around the world in bags, most able to withstand atleast 3 days w/o any issues, and many even longer. I often buy fish out of town and drive 4 hours or more with them. When I shop out of town, I let them know I'm traveling and ask them to use plenty of water and oxygen in the bags, and also request a styroform cooler. They have them on hand because their shipments come in them. If I was just buying a couple fish though I'd bring my own cooler. The last time I did this I was buying a large expensive angel and they wanted to put some sort of additive in the bag, a bag buddy or something, which I refused. I think it's best to stick with water and control the temp.

Speaking of crays, the only fish shipment I ever had get misrouted was crays. Cajun crays actually. They were in teeny tiny bags, smallest I've ever seen, and when I received them on day 8 of their journey they were still in fine shape. Just hungry! I wouldn't expect most fish to survive that trip, but crays are really hardy and excellent shippers.

Back
Top Bottom