Fish in Airlines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legit Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
i don't know where to post this exactly, but i would like to ask everyone and specifically the people who have done this before..... is it allowed/legal to bring fish from country to country? specifically Philippines to the USA/New York? i currently am in vacation here in the Philippines and saw some amazing little fish farms here and with wonderful fish and would love to bring some back with me specifically GUPPIES! any help would be appreciated.

If there is a particular document/permit that i need to print or read on philippines/USA customs or anything, please let me know! THANK YOU! :)

If u can find out let me know I'll buy some from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I believe you will need to contact U.S. customs to get a ruling on this. When I imported fish from the Phillipines, we needed to have customs clear the shipments here in the U.S. Since you will not be bringing ( I assume) a large quantity of fish, there may be specific guidelines as to how many of what types of animals you can bring. Be aware that some species are under C.I.T.I.S rulings and may not be allowed to be collected. You can find out these animals through the Phillipine Gov't.

Hope this helps

Just looked at us customs page and wow so much information. Don't know where to start. I would be scared to even ask because I wouldn't want them to think I was trying any thing illegal. But there has to be a way I know people do it all the time.

Just looked at us customs page and wow so much information. Don't know where to start. I would be scared to even ask because I wouldn't want them to think I was trying any thing illegal. But there has to be a way I know people do it all the time.

Those people are likely importers with all of the permits needed which speeds up the process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please don't assume other people are ignorant or don't know things. Yes I know people have import licenses for there business. I'm not talking about that I have see people who are not in the aquarium/fish trade other than as a hobby that have done it before.

I know when ever I travel internationally the deceleration page lists animal or plant products, presumably to avoid certain invasive species or diseases.

Did you ask the fish farm people? I'd be surprised if they didn't know.

It'd be hard to carry on if you can only have a max 3 oz liquid so you'd have to check. I'd be worried they would get confiscated.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would check with the BAI

Bureau of Customs Passenger Guidelines | Embassy of the Philippines in Singapore

Just a btw, you could ship them. With maybe a cooling pack then arrange for them to ship the day you leave for the airport. I would research how to ship fish long term before this.

thank you i just read up a lot of information. and found many other websites which are pretty confusing because usually just talk about the endangered and disease rich fish, never about whether common fish that aren't disease rich or endangered or invasive are allowed to be brought

I believe you will need to contact U.S. customs to get a ruling on this. When I imported fish from the Phillipines, we needed to have customs clear the shipments here in the U.S. Since you will not be bringing ( I assume) a large quantity of fish, there may be specific guidelines as to how many of what types of animals you can bring. Be aware that some species are under C.I.T.I.S rulings and may not be allowed to be collected. You can find out these animals through the Phillipine Gov't.

Hope this helps

yup it does thank you! i read the the carp species and endangered species are very strictly prohibited unless you have a license for bringing it. but i will only be bringing in maybe about 6-10 guppys

I know when ever I travel internationally the deceleration page lists animal or plant products, presumably to avoid certain invasive species or diseases.

Did you ask the fish farm people? I'd be surprised if they didn't know.

It'd be hard to carry on if you can only have a max 3 oz liquid so you'd have to check. I'd be worried they would get confiscated.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i would need to ask them, to be honest i was so intrigued with all the beautiful fish and i forgot to ask :lol:

Please don't assume other people are ignorant or don't know things. Yes I know people have import licenses for there business. I'm not talking about that I have see people who are not in the aquarium/fish trade other than as a hobby that have done it before.

I'm not assuming anyone is ignorant.
It's very likely that when you declare fish or plants in your possession, that they will be held for photo sterilization or quarantine and you'll need to pay whatever their fee is. This is provided that you are flying into one of the airports with customs agents on duty for the job, otherwise they may just be confiscated and destroyed.

Have you thought about contacting a transhipper? You could pack and ship the fish to them when you are leaving and either pick up your package from them or have it shipped to you. It may cost a little more, but it may be better than the risks taken bringing them yourself

Have you thought about contacting a transhipper? You could pack and ship the fish to them when you are leaving and either pick up your package from them or have it shipped to you. It may cost a little more, but it may be better than the risks taken bringing them yourself

i want to but my parents don't want to go through the hassle because it is a 50/50 chance that it will be a good or bad experience. i might just try fedex/usps/ups if they have around here. because it sounds like I'm going to go through a lot just to bring a small amount of harmless fish

i want to but my parents don't want to go through the hassle because it is a 50/50 chance that it will be a good or bad experience. i might just try fedex/usps/ups if they have around here. because it sounds like I'm going to go through a lot just to bring a small amount of harmless fish
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast these days. With all the invasive species that have happened, rules have tightened so someone traveling to a place to collect a few fish will have a lot to deal with. You can see about someone there packing the fish for 48hr transit ( like they do for wholesalers) so they can be put on as cargo or as checked luggage. It's all going to come down to what U.S. Customs does when you arrive home. In NY, they may be on call 24hr/day tho?
Keep us posted, especially if you catch fish. :D Better yet, take pics of the fish and you can keep them forever. (y)

Breather bags and put them in your checked luggage. I know someone who went on a collecting trip to Brazil and brought back a couple fish that way, along with several boxes that came through "properly". One of the suitcase fish was a baby Carapo knife fish, considered a food fish so not allowed to be exported, though I've seen them available online.

Breather bags and put them in your checked luggage. I know someone who went on a collecting trip to Brazil and brought back a couple fish that way, along with several boxes that came through "properly". One of the suitcase fish was a baby Carapo knife fish, considered a food fish so not allowed to be exported, though I've seen them available online.

I was originally thinking of doing that but won't the scanners show the moving fish and especially their skeletal system? or when you mean checked luggage do you mean the ones which are to big to be "carry-on" and must go in the fuselage?
but wouldn't they scan those luggages too?

I was originally thinking of doing that but won't the scanners show the moving fish and especially their skeletal system? or when you mean checked luggage do you mean the ones which are to big to be "carry-on" and must go in the fuselage?
but wouldn't they scan those luggages too?

You'd be declaring the fish so the airlines would know they were there. You are not trying to hide them, just transport them. When shipping fish, they go into a styro box in a cardboard outer box and go in the heated area of the cargo part of the plane when they know it's livestock. If you can get a box the correct size for carry on, all you need to find out is if they can go on the plane with you due to the volume of water or if they need to go into cargo. (y)

The bag would be in a checked suitcase, apparently that luggage isn't x-rayed like carryons. Airlines won't allow fish in carryon bags, well, actually won't allow enough water to keep them alive. Same with any liquid now, even soda or bottled water can't go past the point where you're x-rayed to wait for boarding.

Back
Top Bottom