Fish in cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish In Tank Cycling

Can I cycle my new 55 gallon with jumbo neons and black neons?

Hello el...

You can, but neons don't rank very high on the "Hardy Fish List". Other aquarium fish like Rasboras, White Clouds, Guppies (preferably females), Platys, Rosy Barbs, Swordtails and Zebra Danios will do much better, because they best tolerate the less than good water conditions that go with cycling a tank with fish. If you already have them, then you'll need 3 to 4 for every 10 gallons of water.

If you need the specifics on this type of tank cycling, just let someone here know.

B

I have 3 black neons, 5 Von rios, two jumbo neons, and a full grown green cory that I could use to cycle my 55g. I wouldn't want to use the Cory is he might die tho.

I usually recommend around 1 fish per 10 gallons of tank size. This is obviously a very generic statement since different fish are different sizes. The thing is, if you don't use an adequate amount of fish for a tank the cycle will take longer. The upside to that even if it does take longer, with less fish in the tank it means less water changes since the ammonia levels won't be rising as fast.

It's up to you. I usually fish-in cycle and try to use cycled media to make the process faster. I don't really advocate fishless cycling unless the person doesn't understand how fish-in cycling works, since it does require some testing and action if/when the ammonia/nitrite levels get too high.

I've done both. But I usually just throw in feeder fish. I don't care what happens to them.

Fish In Tank Cycling

I have 3 black neons, 5 Von rios, two jumbo neons, and a full grown green cory that I could use to cycle my 55g. I wouldn't want to use the Cory is he might die tho.

Hello el...

If you're going with the fish you have, they'll need to be reasonably sized, roughly 2 inches adult-sized fish and you'll need 20 to maintain a steady source of ammonia or you'll likely still be cycling your tank this time next year. You want to get some floating plants like Anacharis, Pennywort and Hornwort into the tank before you get started. Run the tank a day or two with everything, but fish to warm things up for the fish. The plants will at least help maintain reasonable water conditions for the fish. The fish you've selected aren't hardy, so you'll need to pay especially close attention to the water chemistry. If you test the water daily and if your test shows even a trace of ammonia or nitrite, change 25 to 30 percent of the water and replace that with pure, treated tap water, the fish will appreciate it. Just test and replace the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled. From that point on, you'll need to change half the water every week or two to maintain good water conditions.

Have fun.

B

All of the fish I'm thinking about using in my tank are full grown. Hogwart, and penny wort are not available in my area.

Fish In Tank Cycling

All of the fish I'm thinking about using in my tank are full grown. Hogwart, and penny wort are not available in my area.

el...

Find some form of aquatic floating plant. These plants are natural water filters and take in nutrients from the fish waste through the leaves. They'll help balance the tank water better than the plants that process nutrients through their roots. Your chances for success are a bit lower with less than hardy fish, but if you test the tank water daily and follow the steps in my previous post, your fish may come through the nitrogen cycle in good health.

B

It sounds like you have two tanks. Why not use seeded media?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I actually have 6 other tanks (addicted). I can't really use media from any of those tanks because my new one has a canister filter and all of my other ones have HOBs.

Yeah, I actually have 6 other tanks (addicted). I can't really use media from any of those tanks because my new one has a canister filter and all of my other ones have HOBs.

Excuses excuses. Replace one of your sponges from your HOB that most closely would fit your canister, then cut it sop it fits in the canister. I used media from a HOB in my canister to cycle. It was instantaneous.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have marineland filters on my other tanks and the media in those filter are plastic.

The cartridges in the Marineland filters should develop a healthy population of beneficial bacteria if left in the filter long enough. It is not strictly limited to the biowheel. Take one of the older ones, cut it up and place in the canister filter.

You don't even have to put it In the filter. You can just hang it over the side in the path of the filter output nozzle.

Back
Top Bottom