Fish-in cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I'm currently cycling a 75 gallon tank. I have 6 white cloud mountain minnows in there. They seem to be doing well. I'm on day 4 or 5 of them being in there. I used Smart Start by TLC for bacteria.

My readings last night after a 20 gal change:

ammonia- .50
nitrite- 0
nitrate- 5
ph- 7.6-8
KH- 5

These numbers have stayed just about the same throughout so far. KH dropped from 7 to 5, that's about the only change I've seen.

Even after reading all about cycles I still have no idea if I'm getting anywhere? Any help is appreciated.

A few questions first?

Did you cycle your tank before adding your fish?

Or did you just add water and the meds and put the fish in?

Is it a brand new filter you have on and brand new media inside it?

Thanks

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

It is a sump. It was used before and had about 3 inches of water in it before I dumped it out. It saw for about 4 months. I started it up and let it run for about a week, then added the bacteria and prime and a couple days later the fish.

The bacteria that was in the sump will be dead so of no use too you.
You really haven't cycled the tank long enough at all.
Keep up with your regular water changes and hope.
The best thing you can possibly do is get some seeded media maybe from you LFS or a friend who has a tank and use that media to kick start the tank asap.
Your fish won't die straight away but if the water is bad and your parameters are not correct your fish may end up dying.
Been there made this mistake it's a sucker.

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank
50 gallon yellow belly slider tank
29 gallon puffer tank
20 gallon community tank

I realize my tank isn't cycled, I was more asking about are the numbers normal for starting out? I plan to do daily water changes. Thanks for the response btw

First of all-

Good on you for using such a small number of fish to cycle. This will make it much easier to manage during this turbulent time.

Keep an eye on your ammonia levels and change water as needed. I would keep the ammonia no higher than 1ppm, but ideally around 0.5ppm. If you haven't already, purchase a liquid test kit. If you have one already, good on you.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I did some research on fish-in cycling. I've been able to keep the ammonia at .50. It's 1ppm out of the tap.

As long as I keep it low and keep testing, I should be on the right track? I've been using the API liquid test kit from the start.

Am I supposed to continue to add the liquid bacteria as I go along or just the once during the start?

I see you're in Richmond, I'm in Chesapeake!

I wouldn't think you should have ammonia in your tap water! I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me, but that doesn't sound right.

I've read that sometimes it can be Ammonium which can test positive. Do you think that could be it?

Thanks for the reply. I did some research on fish-in cycling. I've been able to keep the ammonia at .50. It's 1ppm out of the tap.

As long as I keep it low and keep testing, I should be on the right track? I've been using the API liquid test kit from the start.

Am I supposed to continue to add the liquid bacteria as I go along or just the once during the start?

I see you're in Richmond, I'm in Chesapeake!

I was on little creek today!

You don't need to add the liquid bacteria as those products are hit or miss AT BEST. Your best bet at accelerating your cycle is to get some established media (a piece of old sponge is great). A fish store might be willing to get you some, or there is a member who sells established media on here for pretty cheap. It's the easiest way to jump start that cycle.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not really in a hurry, I mostly just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I don't want to forget something or start off wrong and never cycle.

When I do my water changes, I am using prime in the buckets. I'm still getting a reading of .50 ammonia from the WC water. Is that normal?

Edit: Finally found something about this online. Apparently after using prime it will still test for ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom