Fish in cycle reading from day 18 - 24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Day 18
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.15
Stopped using filter start

Day 19
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0
25% water change

Day 20
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0

Day 21
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0
30% water change

Day 22
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0
PH 7.6
50% water change

Day 23
Ammonia 0.10
Nitrite 0

Day 24
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0

Day 25
Ammonia about 0.30-0.50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30ppm
Ph 7.6
20 liter water change 25%

Has my cycling stalled ? Because I don't seem to be having any Ammonia consumption
Using: 2 Neon tetras and 2 Platies

It can take a long time. I had fish for over a month and never saw nitrates or nitrites or ammo consumption; unfortunately they didn't survive the process and now I'm going fishless. I think fish-in cycles take a lot longer because you have to do pwc to keep the ammonia and nitrate levels down enough so that the fish are safe but that also cuts down the amount of ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. So I think you're in for a lot of testing and pwc, possibly upwards of 2-3 months. But you're doing a good job in keeping your fish safe. GOod luck.

Thank you for your replies I honestly thought with nitrite being 0 and still getting ammonia readings go up I thought I had stalled
Am only feeding am small amount once every 2 days so that should be an issue

This is my first new tank cycling. My last tanks were second hand, a 36inch and a 30inch and I preserved the bacteria that was in the gravel due to under gravel filtering, by transporting the fish and gravel in a large sealable 5 gallon bucket and put them both into the tank with a new preset thermoheater that I had set to 24c I over 2 days before in a second large 5 gallon bucket . This enabled me to go through a very small cycling process and was balanced within 3 days ( continued testing for 7 day to ensure the cycle had finished )
I am aware of the process of cycling a tank but I have seen so meany conflicting theory's on what results you should have at different stages of the process I got confused.
I should have done a fishless cycle
Lesson learnt

It can take several weeks, 5-6 or even more weeks with fish-in cycling. Doing water changes is necessary to keep the fish safe, but at the same time it seems to slow things down a little. Sounds like you are doing well though just keep it up and be patient.

He who waits the longest gets the prize a.
Will twiddle thumbs until the end lol

Back
Top Bottom