Fish-in cycle readings: am i on track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chappers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just took some readings 3 weeks into a fish-in cycle, what does this mean?

i didn't change any water yesterday and the nitrates is a lot yellower than it looks in the pic, was more yellow than orange.

I wasn't expecting ammonia to still be present but I am a beginner in all this so any help would be great.

The ammonia is about 0.25 and the nitrites was very light blue, almost 0 and the trates was less than 5.0.
IMG_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Moving along well.

Once you get steady readings of zero for ammo an trites then you should be done.

Keep a close eye on it, wanna make sure your fish aren't put into stress :)

How long have you had nitrite and how high has it gotten? You may just be starting the nitrite phase which can be dangerous for fish; they tend to spike quickly so you'll want to keep on top of testing and water changes. The ammonia looks more like .5 in the pic but it might just be the lighting. How large of a water change did you do? If the ammo is .5 I'd do another 50% water change.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

How long have you had nitrite and how high has it gotten? You may just be starting the nitrite phase which can be dangerous for fish; they tend to spike quickly so you'll want to keep on top of testing and water changes. The ammonia looks more like .5 in the pic but it might just be the lighting. How large of a water change did you do? If the ammo is .5 I'd do another 50% water change.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

The ammonia definitely isn't as high as that, sorry, dodgy pic, nitrites have already spiked last week i believe, they were up to 2.0, maybe higher for several days in a row. This test was before a water change this morning, i did about a 30% change straight after.

All readings were very high last week for several days in a row, in particular one day the trites were extremely high so i did 4 50% water changes over a few hours.

whats your take on it? this is my first cycle so any advice would be great

Back
Top Bottom