Fish-in cycling question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am contemplating whether to do a fish in or fishless cycle. I've read the articles that aquariumadvice has about both methods. I'm leaning towards fish in simply because I am impatient and want my fish now. I know that with a fishless cycle you can really stock your tank all at once, although I was planning on stocking it in 3 parts. I am wondering if you need to stock slower after doing a fish in cycle. Can I do my 3 parts, just altered? I'm planning on getting 6 Zebra Danios, 6 Cory Catfish, 1 Blue Gourami, and 9 Tiger Barbs. If I do a fish in cycle, I'm planning on cycling with 4 zebra danios. So would this stocking plan work after my cycle is complete?
Part 1:
Add 2 Zebra Danios and Blue Gourami
Wait 1.5-2 weeks

Part 2: Add 6 Cory Catfish
Wait 1.5-2 Weeks

Part 3: Add 9 tiger barbs

Is this stocking too fast after doing a fish in cycle? Could I speed it up?

bud29 said:
I am contemplating whether to do a fish in or fishless cycle. I've read the articles that aquariumadvice has about both methods. I'm leaning towards fish in simply because I am impatient and want my fish now. I know that with a fishless cycle you can really stock your tank all at once, although I was planning on stocking it in 3 parts. I am wondering if you need to stock slower after doing a fish in cycle. Can I do my 3 parts, just altered? I'm planning on getting 6 Zebra Danios, 6 Cory Catfish, 1 Blue Gourami, and 9 Tiger Barbs. If I do a fish in cycle, I'm planning on cycling with 4 zebra danios. So would this stocking plan work after my cycle is complete?
Part 1:
Wait 1.5-2 weeks

Wait 1.5-2 Weeks

Ok first off i have several problems. I dont know where you heard that doing a fishless cycle allows you to add all your fish at the same time. Fishless or fish-in cycles still require to slowly add fish to avoid harmful spikes of ammonia and nitrite. Also if you choose to do a fish in cycle (i have tried both) i would start very slow. Hardy fish are necessary and a blue gourami is not really a hardy fish IMO. And i do like the 3 part adding idea but the blue gourami would be best in the second part. So now the first two are play but the 3rd... Well personally i would add 5 tiger barbs and then add a 4th part.. Maybe only waiting a week.. And top off your stock! Im really impatient too but for the health of your fish TAKE YOUR TIME! Trust me on this. I tried to do a fish-in cycle too fast and lost four Tbarbs! Patience!

Ok first off i have several problems. I dont know where you heard that doing a fishless cycle allows you to add all your fish at the same time. Fishless or fish-in cycles still require to slowly add fish to avoid harmful spikes of ammonia and nitrite. Also if you choose to do a fish in cycle (i have tried both) i would start very slow. Hardy fish are necessary and a blue gourami is not really a hardy fish IMO. And i do like the 3 part adding idea but the blue gourami would be best in the second part. So now the first two are play but the 3rd... Well personally i would add 5 tiger barbs and then add a 4th part.. Maybe only waiting a week.. And top off your stock! Im really impatient too but for the health of your fish TAKE YOUR TIME! Trust me on this. I tried to do a fish-in cycle too fast and lost four Tbarbs! Patience!

Sorry that my question is so confusing....but I'm planning on cycling the tank with 4 zebra danios and those parts are the fish I would add after the cycle is complete.

Part 1:
Wait 1.5-2 weeks

Wait 1.5-2 Weeks

I would alter the plan slightly if I were stocking this tank personally, but I think your plan will work as long as you are going into it prepared to do the necessary diligence that a fish in cycle requires. What sized tank btw? 9 Tiger barbs will require a 4' tank once they are fully mature. I would add all the danios to start. Then 3-5 barbs. Then the gourami and rest of the barbs. Cories last. I would also wait 2-2.5 weeks between adds. JMO.

Cycling with fish can be done completely responsibly. We do it regularly. Fishless cycling does allow immediate full stocking of the tank if done properly.

The guides pretty much outline this process so I suggest going over them again.

One of the perks of fishless cycling is it allows you to fully stock at once.

And fish-in cycling stocking should be highly dependent on your test readings.

I would alter the plan slightly if I were stocking this tank personally, but I think your plan will work as long as you are going into it prepared to do the necessary diligence that a fish in cycle requires. What sized tank btw? 9 Tiger barbs will require a 4' tank once they are fully mature. I would add all the danios to start. Then 3-5 barbs. Then the gourami and rest of the barbs. Cories last. I would also wait 2-2.5 weeks between adds. JMO.

Cycling with fish can be done completely responsibly. We do it regularly. Fishless cycling does allow immediate full stocking of the tank if done properly.

My tank is 34 gallons. And wouldn't 6 zebra danios be too much in a fish in cycle when you want to have a small amount fish?

Also, my mom really isn't sold on the whole fish-in idea, and wants to know why I need to do it this way and not fishless. Other than the fact that you can put fish in your tank now, what are some good reasons to?

Zebra danios are very light load and hardy fish. As long as you test daily and do water changes as dictated by the test results, it will be fine.

There really is no benefit other than not having to be patient. IMO.

Sorry listen to these guys. I have only done fishless cycling one time and it was for a ten gallon. Apparently the girl at my LFS gave me incorrect info because she told me i could still only add slowly. I am very sorry, i HATE giving wrong info and im glad i could learn something new.

Reactions: HN1
As HN1 said, the only real benefit for fish-in cycling is getting to stock immediately. That in itself isn't a bad thing since it can be hard to explain to family and friends why you have an fishless running tank in the living room for a month, lol.

I personally do fish-in cycling because I find fishless cycling to be a lot of unnecessary work to achieve the same eventual goal.

Alright so im guessing fishless takes longer? And i have a question for anyone who also does fish-in cycling. What do u do if u dont want to keep community fish but want to fish in cycle

Fishless is actually a little bit faster than fish-in , usually, since it involves higher amounts of ammonia. If you are using seeded media to help speed things along though they both don't take that long.

The biggest factor with successful fish-in cycling is to use fish that are not notoriously sensitive and also not to start with much of a fish load so that the water parameters are easily controlled. You can use a non-community fish, you just wouldn't want to use a large one in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom