Fish In or Out During PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimplyKayla76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:(I have a tall 37 gallon freshwater aquarium with goldfish. It sits on my dresser and during pwc i have to have a stool. I use 5 gallon water bottles to replace the water i take out during a pwc. Well when pouring the water back in the aquarium it makes the water rock violently and I am afraid it will harm my fish~so i get a gallon bowl full of their aquarium water and take them out during a pwc. My question is....is it more stressful to take them out or leave them in with the water rocking violently?

I don't use buckets but can visualize what you're saying. If you direct the water towards a wall of the tank, you won't have the turbulence. I do not believe in removing the fish for water changes as it stresses them.

The stress from catching and removing the fish would out weight the stress of adding the water IMO. I use 5 gallon buckets and you just have to be steady as not to dump it all in at once. If possible dump into a wall of the tank or another large item to slow the water's entrance and break it down some. It takes practice and probably a little strength if you have to hold it so high but still beats constantly netting and removing the fish in the long run.

The stress from catching and removing the fish would out weight the stress of adding the water IMO. I use 5 gallon buckets and you just have to be steady as not to dump it all in at once. If possible dump into a wall of the tank or another large item to slow the water's entrance and break it down some. It takes practice and probably a little strength if you have to hold it so high but still beats constantly netting and removing the fish in the long run.
I agree stress is a killer in the long run. I have a 20Gal high up in my garage. I fill a 5 Gal bucket get the water parameters the same & pump it in. A low GPH & I pump it on the glass

El_diablo said:
My fish seem to enjoy swimming through the air bubbles the fresh water creates when I'm poring it into my tank

Mine do the same thing. It drives me crazy!

I use a 2 at pitcher to scoop water from the bucket until the bucket's half empty. It takes longer but it's easier to pour slowly and I spill less.

dbockrath said:
I use a 2 at pitcher to scoop water from the bucket until the bucket's half empty. It takes longer but it's easier to pour slowly and I spill less.

Ditto, this is how I do it too.

My fish also like racing ing the current!

Leave the fish in and get a python setup or at least the hand ball pump and just siphon water back into aquarium. Cheaper too.

Get yourself a water pump.

Maxijet500 or bigger etc attach a hose and drop the pump into your bucket with the hose in your tank and switch on.

Just a thought.

Jon

Well i tried it with them in and now one of them is holding the top fin down..

I pour mine into a vegetable strainer, it diffuses the water, it is a plastic one and floats on the water in the tank.

Confused~

:(I have performed 2 water changes since I started this post with my fish left in. I used a vegetable strainer to diffuse the water. My readings today are .002ppm toxic ammonia, 7.0ppm Ph, 0ppm Nitrite, and 5ppm Nitrate. Temp is 73 degrees. I leave the light on 6 to 8 hours a day by first opening my blinds and letting the room brighten before i turn the light on. I feed them every other day sometimes with two days passing before i feed them. I still have 3 goldfish(juveniles) in a 37 gallon with two filters AC 30 and a Top fin 40. They have plenty of places to hide.

That being said~ my fancy goldfish the last few days has been hiding all the time except when fed and zipping across the aquarium like a speeding bullet. Now my ryukin is beginning to do the same thing but not quite as dramatic as the fancy and my black moor hides all day. I don't know why they are acting this way??? One of the reasons i have fish b/c i love to sit and watch them. Until this starting happening I could walk into the room and sit down and watch them lazily swim around. Now even when I walk into the room they zip across the aquarium and hide :(

Any thoughts? I have been told this is normal..but if that is so why haven't they acted this way since I brought them home? It is very upsetting...

Back
Top Bottom