Fish injuring itself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my cichlids keep managing to scratch and leave gash marks all over his body. This appears to be an ongoing problem and not sure what to do. I could remove all the decor, but he's also jumping at the surface for no good reason and hitting his head on the lid.

Any recommendations on how to heal these wounds quickly?

5x5 said:
One of my cichlids keep managing to scratch and leave gash marks all over his body. This appears to be an ongoing problem and not sure what to do. I could remove all the decor, but he's also jumping at the surface for no good reason and hitting his head on the lid.

Any recommendations on how to heal these wounds quickly?

Is he trying to scratch himself? He could have a parasite. Do u know what all your parameters are ?

If he's trying to jump out of the water to the point of smashing against the lid, chances are there is something in the water or on him that is hurting him.
If it were me I would do a BIG PWC, see if there is any change. Do PWC everyday for a few days. If it's the water that will fix it, if it's a parasite you'll need to treat the entire tank. Most likely they will all have it by now.

The parameters are good:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

The ph has been a little low, which I have another thread for, but I don't think its related to this problem.

This fish has been scratching himself on occasion for months. I don't think he's rubbing himself, I think he just darts around fast and has bad aim sometimes. The jumping thing is new. My first inclination is that he thinks he sees food at the surface and is attacking it.

I would normally downplay the possibility of a parasite, but I did have a strange occurrence earlier this week. My firemouth was breathing rapidly and labored and died a few days later. At this point it seems to be an isolated incident and my other 8 fish have showed no signs of problems.

With regard to jumping against the lid, do you have algae buildup on your light fixture. My blood parrots are always trying to get something that only they can see off the glass and it does appear that they're hitting the lid. They don't do the rubbing thing though. That does sound like the fish has an issue.

5x5 said:
The parameters are good:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

The ph has been a little low, which I have another thread for, but I don't think its related to this problem.

This fish has been scratching himself on occasion for months. I don't think he's rubbing himself, I think he just darts around fast and has bad aim sometimes. The jumping thing is new. My first inclination is that he thinks he sees food at the surface and is attacking it.

I would normally downplay the possibility of a parasite, but I did have a strange occurrence earlier this week. My firemouth was breathing rapidly and labored and died a few days later. At this point it seems to be an isolated incident and my other 8 fish have showed no signs of problems.

I do remember the Thread on ur other fish ... I wonder if there is internal parasites
Or something? Keep watching closely

Back
Top Bottom