Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

{please disregard that last message it was from another post. :-( I am using the app, doing copy/ paste from notepad because the ipad app hangs when I hit send, and I am confusing myself so enough for now, am going to bed.. .}

Old 07-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen this before on people. It usually results from a spray on tan or extreme usage of the tanning bed. Has the fish been visiting the tanning salon often lately?

....sorry I can't be of any other assistance.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks to be an internal tumor. Not much you can do for it. This is one of the results of all the breeding that has been to to this fish to get all the pretty colors. First thing is to get the nitrate level down. The lower the better. You may have some success with an internal antibiotic such as maracyn2 to help ward off any infection that may be causing the lump. The addition of salt in a hospital tank setup may also help draw the fluid inside the tumor ( if there) out thus returning the body to a more normal shape.

It is definitely not velvet. Velvet will appear as a dusting of orange or gold looking areas, usually around the dorsal area of the fish, not causing a protrusion of that magnitude.
This "thing" may not be a death sentence for the fish either. Without more conclusive testing of the area, it's hard to say for sure. At this point, it's easier to say what it isn't more than what it is. Sorry

Hope this helps
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

It is definitely not velvet. Velvet will appear as a dusting of orange or gold looking areas, usually around the dorsal area of the fish, not causing a protrusion of that magnitude.
This "thing" may not be a death sentence for the fish either. Without more conclusive testing of the area, it's hard to say for sure. At this point, it's easier to say what it isn't more than what it is. Sorry

Hope this helps
Thanks for replying and for the info. I have owned lots of guppies over the years and have never seen anything like this, so I guess I'm lucky they have been really healthy stock. Unfortunately, a certain percentage of all living things get tumors.

Just to clarify, In the first post I said that he does have a "dusting" of orange all over his body (excluding his tail) like he got into a bag of Cheetos. It's not really a dusting, because it doesn't come off when rubbed. Yes, I tried with a cloth because I was curious. I know I shouldn't do that.

In fact I am now calling him Cheeto. He is NOT supposed to be orange, his body is normally silver.

However, the orange does appear to to be slightly reduced, so I am hoping that the Quickcure, salt and daily water change has helped somewhat. Is is possible his lump is a pustule or a reaction of a parasite infection?

It's a mystery to me. I am going to treat it for now (because I dont know what else to do) like a parasite (ich or velvet), and raise the temp in the hospital tank, add salt, and keep the tank dark. Honestly I am more curious than ever to see if he goes back to his normal silver color.

If I thought he was suffering I would get out the clove oil but he seems spunky and is eating well.

Anything else I could try?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrgizerbunny View Post
I've seen this before on people. It usually results from a spray on tan or extreme usage of the tanning bed. Has the fish been visiting the tanning salon often lately?

....sorry I can't be of any other assistance.
Haha, he does look like he had a spray on tan that turned orange. Maybe he was trying to look good for the ladies but it went bad, poor little Cheeto
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCheeks View Post
Thanks for replying and for the info. I have owned lots of guppies over the years and have never seen anything like this, so I guess I'm lucky they have been really healthy stock. Unfortunately, a certain percentage of all living things get tumors.

Just to clarify, In the first post I said that he does have a "dusting" of orange all over his body (excluding his tail) like he got into a bag of Cheetos. It's not really a dusting, because it doesn't come off when rubbed. Yes, I tried with a cloth because I was curious. I know I shouldn't do that.

In fact I am now calling him Cheeto. He is NOT supposed to be orange, his body is normally silver.

However, the orange does appear to to be slightly reduced, so I am hoping that the Quickcure, salt and daily water change has helped somewhat. Is is possible his lump is a pustule or a reaction of a parasite infection?

It's a mystery to me. I am going to treat it for now (because I dont know what else to do) like a parasite (ich or velvet), and raise the temp in the hospital tank, add salt, and keep the tank dark. Honestly I am more curious than ever to see if he goes back to his normal silver color.

If I thought he was suffering I would get out the clove oil but he seems spunky and is eating well.

Anything else I could try?
The reason I discounted velvet is because your pictures show an enlargement of the area. Velvet is actually a parasite and is seen as a "dusting" when multiple parasites are present. (You should google "pictures of velvet disease" to see the difference with your fish.) They do not usually cause a distension of the body. This is where the tumor theory comes from. If this is a pustule and is filled with a liquid, the salt may help absorb the liquid and reduce the swelling. If it is a solid mass, the salt should have little effect and an antibiotic might help the situation. If the fish is still eating and swimming "normally" it may not be effecting him at all so be careful with overdoing the treatment.
The orange color may in fact be a natural color that he would have changed to even without the growth. With Guppies, you never really know what color is actually in their DNA. lol
As for treatment, if you are seeing some reduction in the swelling, I'd continue with the treatment you are doing now and not raise the temp as this may increase the activity of the condition not remedy the condition.
That's my opinion since it is most likely NOT an external parasitic situation.

Hope this helps

Tags
cover, covered, fish, lump, red, substance, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com