Fish keeping calamities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
We all make mistakes don't we? Having just spilled methylene blue on my girlfriends wooden floor (which I have already flooded) it got me thinking surely I can't be the only one who makes calamitous mistakes like this.

For a bit of fun. What's the worst mistake you have made. Or silliest thing that you have done whilst taking part in this fantastic hobby?

Thankfully, nothing to date has been calamitous that I've done. I never really made any mistakes since my grandfather and research came before I even started tanking. I suppose my biggest one was getting a common pleco for a 20g.

After having had surgery, while home on recovery I was bored and feeling fine after two weeks. I decided to do some tank maintenance for my tanks in our basement family room. Got through two tanks just fine, got my 120g drained and cleaned, started on the refill. I sat down in the chair and fell asleep. Yep, asleep. I woke up to my tank overflowing, the floor flooded so badly that it was draining into the next room, which luckily is the laundry room and has a drain in the floor. No fish were harmed in this nap, but it took a week for the carpet to dry.

Worse nightmare! :)

I've found not to rush pwc's. Every time I do the hose from the gravel vac slips out of the water bucket and sprays everywhere.

Last week whilst doing a PWC I completely missed the tank and managed to pour the bucket full of water all over myself instead, changed my clothes then slipped on the still wet floor, soaking myself again. I HATE buckets!

Mine was while I was drip acclimating shrimp...I had them in one of those small betta containers and west it on top of my saxophone case so the cat didn't get in it then I went down stairs and watched a couple movies and realized halfway through my third movie that I was acclimating my shrimp and it over flowed all into my saxophone case and on the carpet but none of the shrimp were lost and it wasn't to much water thankfully but still not good for my sax...luckily it still works lolol

I added potassium carbonate to my tank without knowing its effects. Took my PH from 6.6 to maxed out on my normal range test 7.6- didn't check high range, immediately changed 20% of the water and dropped it to 7.0

Mine was while attempting to get my very first DIY overflow box/sump system working... Spent about an hour to get the siphon started in the overflow box's U tube, and several gallons of water spilled all over the stand and hardwood floor, before I gave up and looked up a video... I had to use every towel in the house to try and mop up everything! Once I finally had it working it was such an exciting "Omg, MAD SCIENCE!" moment ;)

Back
Top Bottom