Fish keeping dangerous to your health?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're not scaremongering but as usual the Daily Mail is lol, I hate that rag that calls itself a "Newspaper"

Last edited by a moderator:
It's weird the article kept saying the fish are resistant to antibiotics. I thought it was the bacteria that were resistant. I'm surprised it didn't mention fish TB. Basically, people can get diseases from any animals they keep if conditions are right.

It's weird the article kept saying the fish are resistant to antibiotics. I thought it was the bacteria that were resistant. I'm surprised it didn't mention fish TB. Basically, people can get diseases from any animals they keep if conditions are right.

I noticed that too. Fish would be resistent to anti-fish drugs. Bacteria are resistent to antibiotics. Either way, it referenced a Oregon State University study I will have to try to track down.

I just read the original article, it is tracking resistance to antibiotics by the bacterium which causes columnaris.

Here is a link to an abstract of the actual article that the daily mail quoted (loosely at best).
Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of Flavobacterium columnare isolates collected worldwide from 17 fish species - Declercq - 2012 - Journal of Fish Diseases - Wiley Online Library
:facepalm:

basically says what every other animal husbandry outfit is saying. Over use of antibiotics is bad, creates resistant strains of microbes, and the potential exists for transmission to humans. The mec-A gene that can lead to resistance to common antibiotics in humans has been proven to be highly mobile from species to species of bacteria, but this is not new either.

Reactions: HN1
by the way, this is the only article I found regarding resistance and mentioning the antibiotics cited in the daily mail article in this magazine, going back to october. It's published by the University of Mississippi, not Oregon.

Ha ha ... The only way I see fish keeping being dangerous to your health is if you fall into a large tank of Piranha.

I don't know anything about this news site, but after reading the article I'm already skeptical haha. It kept saying the same thing over again under the pictures and really sounds like it was just trying to get a rise out of our fellow hobbyists. I think that if this was an issue it would have been noticed a long time ago by the people who have been keeping fish for a long time. And like said above, it's not the fish who are resistant to antibiotics, its the bacteria. If fish are more resistant to antibiotics then I see that as a good thing! Less fish deaths when treating a tank for a bacterial infection haha

by the way, this is the only article I found regarding resistance and mentioning the antibiotics cited in the daily mail article in this magazine, going back to october. It's published by the University of Mississippi, not Oregon.

Actually, there's a slew of studies in respect to antibiotic resistance of various bacteria in fish from antibiotic abuse. There's also quite few studies of strains of ich and flukes that are resistant to traditional treatment methods due to improper/abuse of medications. Unfortunately, the combo of med abuse and improper use is causing many of the meds commonly available to be ineffective. Part of the problem is the manufacturers themselves- the directions on most meds are ridiculous. Instructing to only use ich meds/antibiotics/parasite meds for a few days is inadequate at best. My computer is down or I would link some of studies for everyone.

There are a slew of studies, and not just in fish, you're 100% right jlk. I wasn't trying to debate or diminish that fact in any way.
I couldn't find any published in the magazine that the dailymail "quoted." I was pointing out the irresponsible reporting style more than the abundance of factual, research based articles. Med resistance is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart, I sat on the hospital infection control and epidemiology committee where i work for nearly ten years. The increase in resistance is quite alarming, but irresponsible reporting and misquoting, mis-citing articles does nothing to further knowledge. Rather, it creates panic and further spread of misinformation.

There are a slew of studies, and not just in fish, you're 100% right jlk. I wasn't trying to debate or diminish that fact in any way.
I couldn't find any published in the magazine that the dailymail "quoted." I was pointing out the irresponsible reporting style more than the abundance of factual, research based articles. Med resistance is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart, I sat on the hospital infection control and epidemiology committee where i work for nearly ten years. The increase in resistance is quite alarming, but irresponsible reporting and misquoting, mis-citing articles does nothing to further knowledge. Rather, it creates panic and further spread of misinformation.

+1
Well said!!!

Is my 4 fish tanks in my fish room the reason I have Bronchitis and Sinus Inf right now ?? Eeek

Back
Top Bottom