Fish lifespans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a rule, larger fish live longer lives. Stingrays live 40 years. :D

My African mbuna cichlids supposedly live 8-10 years (if they don't kill each other :roll: ), my father-in-law had a angelfish for 12 years.

i have a 5 year old betta....4 year old black ghost, angels, gourami,cory cats, pictus cats and discus (they are all in the same tank).

A bichir. Sometimes petstores call them "dragon eels" or "dragonfish," but they aren't to be confused with a goby that is also referred to by that name.

My aunt had a 15+ year old common plecostomus. :)

The larger gourami have 10+ lifespans. Giant Gourami I think has a 15 year old fish common. Most smaller gourami top out at 10 and I don't know of any present day pet breed gourami living over 5 years
(Ps when I say gourami. I mean ALL gouramy..the bettas, gourami and macropods and most anabantoids excluding channa)

Most of the koi I helped breed or raise lived for as long as the 8 years I was near them. I know one was a restaurant display fish for almost 20 years (don't know what hapened when the restaurant was tore down)

columbian sharks live for 8-9 years, and get quite big. up to 18 inches. theyre beautiful and so graceful, and so friendly! i adore my columbian :)

Both of my Plecos that are in my 55 were bought before I was born by my parents and I'm 18. We also have Corys that are like 17, and our Oscar is like 10-13 I think.

Puffers live for a long time too. Figure 8's are known to live for 18+ years when kept as a singleton. But puffers in general live 10+ years, except for the dwarfs, which only live for about 2-3 years as far as anyone really knows, they're still pretty new to the hobby.

ooh! i have a green spotted puffer, and i'd love for him to live into his teens, as ive read he should. he and my columbian have such a healthy appetite! they way those two chow, they should live forever ;)

very interesting...

my boyfriend & i have an oscar that has been around 6 years, & a jack D. for 8 years. they seem to be happy, & of course have the right size of tank.

i had an angel fish that believe it or not died just last week. i went on vacation, had my mother watch them, & well, poof!=/ i had him forever! that thing was HUGE in my 90 gallon tank. it was a black & white marbel one, but it started to get a blue strip on the one side of its face, & the other side had an orange strip! it was beautiful=] i miss that pretty thing~! =/

my iridescent shark has gotten huge! i love it, 90 gallon tanks rule!=] how long do they live for?

what the average age for them & jack dempseys, & oscars?

You may find this curious, but its possible for neon tetras to live up to 10 years if the water conditions are kept right.

Back
Top Bottom