Fish Massacre :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tonight, my wife and I did a 25% water change, as we do weekly. About an hour later, we noticed that six of our eight Buenos Aires tetras were dead. Another is swimming around the top of the tank. The two Bolivian rams seem fine.

We realized that we forgot to add Prime after the change. I assume the chlorine killed them that quickly?

:(

If the rams are in a single area, I think the pair killed the tetras while defending their eggs. Do you know the gender?

I don't know their sex. They've been getting along fine...The tetras don't look injured.

If you forgot to add water conditioner, it is likely the chlorine did kill them. This happened to me once before :/
I'm guessing you already added the prime as soon as you realized it.

Yes, put the Prime in right away. The one tetra that was swimming at the top seems OK now, as does the other tetra. And the rams still seem fine.

We're adding water to our 36 gallon tank about two gallons at a time, from a bucket. Should we put the conditioner in before we start adding the water or after the tank is full?

Yes, put the Prime in right away. The one tetra that was swimming at the top seems OK now, as does the other tetra. And the rams still seem fine. We're adding water to our 36 gallon tank about two gallons at a time, from a bucket. Should we put the conditioner in before we start adding the water or after the tank is full?
I always add prime to the buckets than let them sit for 10 min or so..

Im sorry for your losses. It is strange that the more sensitive fish are doing fine. If the rams did it then there would be obvious damage.

Prime works instantly, no need to let it sit. Maybe 30 seconds, but 10 mins is unnecessary.

That's too bad :(
If you didn't have any issues before the water change, most likely it's the water.
Now I'm wondering about the way I sometimes do a big water change by dumping Prime into the tanks first, then running the hose into it.

Im sorry for your losses. It is strange that the more sensitive fish are doing fine. If the rams did it then there would be obvious damage.
Only reason being I like to have buckets filled with thermometer floating before I start removing tank water, not that I don't trust in primes instantaneous results..

That's too bad :(
If you didn't have any issues before the water change, most likely it's the water.
Now I'm wondering about the way I sometimes do a big water change by dumping Prime into the tanks first, then running the hose into it.

That is how most people do it. I have been doing it that way forever.

Back
Top Bottom