fish newbie has an eel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

screaminbuckeye

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all! I have just received a 20 gallon Aqua Tech tank kit for an early christmas present. I plan on getting a peacock eel eventually. I know I need to start cycling so I have the Bio Wheel filter going. I have put in the tank salt (1 teaspoon per gallon). I have black gravel and a little asian pagoda decoration. I also have a heater and thermometer. I also have all the water test kits.

My question is what else do I need to make a peacock eel happy? Can I keep ghost shrimp in the same tank as feeder food? The eel I am looking at is 3 inches long but I know they get to be around 12 inches. Any other compatible tank mates? I am looking for fish that have some personality to them to keep me company in my dorm. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks!

"My question is what else do I need to make a peacock eel happy?"

A bigger tank. A 20g is much too small for the eel :(

a lot of pet store people will tell you anything to sell something =o)

Or, they assume stuff they aren't too sure about or give out information they have over heard from someone else.

Hiya screaminbuckeye and welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

The peacock eel is a freshwater fish yes? Not sure why one would need a hydrometer.

And yeah, a 20g tank is too small for a foot long fish. Especially if you are looking for tankmates as well. Not 100% sure who would make a good tankmate, but I would avoid bottom feeders as they may compete for that section of the tank (like loaches for example). Avoid shrimp, crabs, crayfish and small fish also, as they will become dinner. Maybe larger rasboras or danios, but keep in mind the eels are pretty docile; I'd avoid fish like tiger barbs who may harass em.

I was told that the fish was a brackish fish so that's why I added salt. Will the eel be ok in the 20 gallon tank till I can get a bigger one, if I avoid tank mates? My parents have promised me a 50 gallon tank for a present this summer but I can't have that in my dorm room so the eel would have to stay in a 20 gallon while it grows for a bit.

Hrmm. The peacock eel discussed on fishbase is a freshwater fish; no mention of brackish or salt water: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Macrognathus&speciesname=siamensis . There's also some great info on the care of them at http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/matacembelids.htm

*grins* Was the place that told you a 20g was fine the same place which told you they were brackish?

Lastly, keeping them in a 20g short term depends on how quickly they grow, and that I don't know. I do know you'll need a good cover as they are known jumpers.

Yes the pet store did tell me that they were brackish. I have also read that on a couple of sites so I don't know what to believe. Does anybody have spiny or peacock eels here? I could benefit from some first hand experience.

Hi all...

First, there are many, many versions of "spiney eels".
Most of them, however, are ave. freshwater in pH around 7.0 and don't get much
over 20cm or so. Most of the time when we stock them, they are only 3-4in in
length and that would give you considerable time before needing any really larger
tank. They do like a "sandy" substrate in order to dig and find their hiding places.

A few species like a 1% salinity and get considerably larger (75cm or so).
They are usually rarer types however.

Since most have narrow "needle-like" snoots (mouths) .... ave sized tankmates
should be fine.

Hope that helps some.

Bernie

Wow thanks for all the advice people! This forum is so helpful. I know the spiny eel I am getting is a peacock eel. One last question, can I feed freeze dried food? I'm not real sure where I can get live blood worms at Ohio State in the middle of winter.

you'd be surprised what the LFS has hiding in their fridge... call around; many places have live food! however, overall the frozen stuff is less expensive, however i like to mix up my tank's diet and feed both live and frozen food!

Back
Top Bottom