Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2004, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fish not eating

I have a 10 gal tank that finished cycling 2 weeks ago. I have added 3 zebre danios and a blue rom. When I feed the fish them inhale the food but then spit los of it out. I am worried they are not eating enough. I am feding the flake food. Any suggestions?

Old 11-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Only feed a tiny bit at a time and see how they do. Also, vary their food items--veggies and frozen foods should be added to their diet.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am only feeding them a bit at a time. I know it is not because they are full that they are spitting the food out. They inhale a flake and then spit it out and go get another. They will eat that one they go inhale another and spit it out. It seems like they are just being picky but I cannot see that being the case.
50 lbs Tonga Rock, 50 lbs Fiji Rock
40 lbs Base Rock, 2 x Maxijet 1200s
3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Yellow Tang
2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Shrimp
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
Hermit Crabs and Snails
Juster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Sometimes fish spit out food if it's too big for them. That's probably not the case with flake food, but I just thought I'd mention it. Try what Menagerie says -- vary their diet to include frozen foods or veggies (do a search for threads about veggie feeding). Here is a chart I found showing sample diets for different fish: http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2872

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish appetites are also affected by temperature. Being cold blooded animals means their metabolism rises and falls with temperature changes. The temp of your tank should be 77-78.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a heater and the tank is kept at a constant 78F. They are eating some but I am worried that the food they are not eating might cause a ammonia spike.
50 lbs Tonga Rock, 50 lbs Fiji Rock
40 lbs Base Rock, 2 x Maxijet 1200s
3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Yellow Tang
2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Shrimp
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
Hermit Crabs and Snails
Juster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a reasonable concern, but don't panic or anything. Doing a weekly 15-20% water change should keep that at bay.

My fish spit out food all the time even 6 months after I have them. Part of what they may be doing is breaking the food up into smaller pieces to make it easier to swallow.

But something interesting: I have one swordtail that I would describe as being a finicky eater. He has not grown as fast as the rest and is the runt of the tank. I can't force him to eat, and so he stays small...you'll find each and every fish will have their own personality and strange little quirks.

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eating, not eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com